PIN: Prologue

I'm sure everyone is familiar with that 2" x 2" inch, pale green square with one third of its space with sticky surface. Most call it Post-It notes, some sticky pad while others call it memo pad. Who knew that this could be a medium for a story to take place? I didn't know, perhaps, you did? Ahhh may nabasa ka ng similar story? E, iba 'to. ALDUB to eh.

It started halfway through the school year. We all know that this is going to be the last year of high school. Students had developed the courage to stand up against their bullies. The shy types had a huge personality change and were now talkative and outgoing. Meanwhile, the lazy, bum type students were probably immersed in their books right now. What about me, you ask? To tell you the truth, I'm not one of those popular sporty athletic talented kind of guys.

Sam: Ehem! Popular...

Alright alright! I may be slightly popular due to the fact that I am an actor. But definitely not on top of any lists.

I'm that ordinary normal type who doesn't belong to any of those cliche groups. I believe I stand in the middle. Just right, I think. Now that we've established my standing in the school social status pyramid, I will go back to what we were talking about earlier.

As I have said not long ago, I was that normal guy with a few friends and good grades. I see soccer as a past time although my friends do love it enough to play every afternoon after class dismissals. Of course, I play with them for a couple of minutes and then I sit at the edge of grass field and wait until she passes by at the opposite side. She was beautiful and she always makes my hands clammy that I have to wipe them on my pants. You're probably wondering who she is. Well, since I'm in a terribly happy mood now that I've seen her, I'll indulge you this once.

Her name is Nicomaine Mendoza, like that of the autumn she is breathtaking. She's a senior like me and she will celebrate her birthday on our graduation day. How I came to know this? I saw her friends greet her last year. She has a raven black hair that reached to the middle of her back and she often ties it with a yellow ribbon. Her hair makes you want to run your fingers through it. And no matter how stalkerish that makes me, I admit it to you. She's not the most popular girl in school although she's higher in the pyramid than me since her father owns a share in the school. That's a problem, you know. She seems and appears to be unreachable to me. Perhaps that's why I never got the courage to make her notice me, that is, until a couple of days ago. Maine, can be considered that sweet and friendly type of girl. She never had a boyfriend and was waiting for that right guy to come along. Of course, I dreamed more than once to be that lucky guy. I can go on and on complimenting her, remarking her of her natural beauty and her gracefulness but I assure you that we will possibly never get to finish.

Who am I, you say? As I have said, I'm just that guy sitting at the corner of the room. Fine, I'll introduce myself. I am Alden Richards. And yes, I am that actor you've seen in some shows and in Eat Bulaga. This would have made me famous in school? It could have if only I boasted about it. But since I'm not like that and I happen to love living a quiet life, I didn't. Yes, the school knew of my career but I don't let it get to my head. As a matter of fact, I feel uncomfortable seeing my face on a nation-wide distributed newspaper. That is why I put on my aloof mask to make them back away and don't pester me and my family. My family values privacy, thank you very much. Anyway, you'll know about more of me later.

And before I forget, I happen to be in love with Maine Mendoza. Lame, I know. Unrequited, silent love of a poor, poor boy. You might not understand this but looking at her from a far distance makes my day. I'm content. I should be but one night my friend blurted out of the blue that graduation was coming close and seeing each other would be difficult since college would make that a little impossible. That made me thinking about my stupid in likeness with Maine. I want her to know about my feelings but I'm scared shitless on how she will react. I decided not to do anything about it, you know.

She'll probably gently reject me like she did with other guys for the past four years. She didn't know this but her rejections to other guys were like sweet melodic music to my ears.

After that night hanging out with my friends, the succeeding days didn't help me at all. Everywhere I look I see signs or phrases, or quotes that tell me to come up to her and confess my undying love. Easier said than done. I'll give you an example: I was waiting for the bus to arrive so I can go home. Five minutes later, the bus pulls over at the stop. What was funny and irritating at the same moment was this bus had a design of Nike - Just Do It. Although in my situation, Just Say It, would be more suitable. I didn't realize I let out a scoff when this old woman with a cane looked at me disapprovingly. Hell, she probably heard my expletives.

Oh, there was that one thing that really shook me and made me do what I did. It was when I was searching for an article on childhood (since this was the theme of our essay) and I came across this link and of course, being the curious cat that I am, I clicked it and read the article. The writer's last sentence was what made me leap off my chair and think like a mad scientist: It is not what I did; It is what I didn't do that makes me regret half of the things in my life. Thus, my odd way of telling Maine about my feelings came to be: the Post-It Notes way. If I were a writer, then I would have authored the How to Confess Your Unrequited Love FOR DUMMIES (which I am more than sure hasn't been written yet).

There you go, that is how I find myself hiding at the corner of the hallway staring at Maine as she opens her locker and yet to see the note I posted inside. Damn it if I don't feel nervous right now.

I can feel my heart race as she opens her locker. From this distance I can hear the squeaky sound the small locker door produced and I knew if I were a girl I would have made the same sound. She smiles as she reaches for something. Oh God, my heart just dropped and it's dripping bloody on the floor. I knew without looking at the mirror that I have a goofy smile on my face. Maine just smiled at my sticky note. Hell, this is heaven.
You're curious as to what I wrote in there, aren't you? You'll probably be dead by the week's end if you're always this curious. Fine, no matter how unmanly this would make me, I'll let you know:

Have you noticed how the flowers bow down as you pass by?
How the sun smiles as you walk down the road?
Or how the birds sing as they hear your laughter?
Perhaps, how my heart jumps from my chest as you walk by?

Aren't I such a lame coward guy? Utterly and unmanly cheesy, too? I know, I know. The male race would disown me pronto if they hear about this. So you better keep this deadly secret, alright? I don't want to take any chances of dying young.

Going back to the present, Maine has a ghost of smile lingering on her lips as she finishes reading my stupid poem. Another problem, I don't know what she does with my notes after reading them. There's a great chance she throws them away. I hate to admit it but that would have meant throwing my heart away. God, I sound like a girl. Doesn't she know she has this power over me? No, she doesn't. What she might know is she has a stalker lurking in the shadows readying to jump at her. And I'm not like that. Hell shit no, I'm not psycho to pounce at her like a tiger. I can be perhaps a little puppy with those big eyes and pink tongue wanting to receive affection. I'm hopeless, aren't I?

That's it. The deed is done for the day. She'll forget all about me - I mean - my note by the end of the day.

Alden Richards is still officially a coward.

Author's notes:

So... I actually have this stored in my phone since July. But it was only due to yesterday's episode that I decided to publish this story. This is only the prologue. Chapter 1 will be uploaded sa tamang panahon. Haha! JK.

About the story... this will be mostly written in english. But some dialogues will be in Filipino kasi pinoy tayo. Mas madali i-express thru filipino words. The following chapters will be using third person view but specific sa thoughts ng isang character. Expect OOC since I steered away from canon. But I hope magustuhan niyo to. ENJOY!