Captain Cornish and the Cool Cosmic Cats - story by Deborah Clymer

It was another beautiful day,  the sun was shining, the sand was golden and the sea was blue.

Captain Cornish was laying on a rock, lapping up the sun’s rays;  Oh sorry, let me introduce you to Captain Cornish, he was a pirate captain’s cat and he used to chase the mice on the pirate ship but when the ship hit rocks and sank Captain Cornish clung to a piece of driftwood and got washed up on a Cornish cove and he has been here ever since. He’s  not alone though, ,he has a following, a small crew ,there is Big Cheese, he is a mouse, Cornish used to chase him on the pirate ship but when the ship sank Big Cheese clung to the same piece of driftwood, Captain Cornish and big cheese have been together ever since ,you could say that Big Cheese is the Captains “first mate”!. Then there is  Majik ,now Majik  is a cat that is one hundred and more years old, he used to belong to a wizard of these parts, that wizard I have heard told was called Merlin, Merlin worked and made potions and lotions for a very famous King, this King was called Arthur.

Majik used to watch and help Merlin make these potions and lotions now he can make them as well, there are some other friends but I will introduce them to you later, too much information could addle your brains and we don’t want that to happen now do we!!

THE HUMBLE ABODE

Captain Cornish,  Big Cheese and Majik live in the basement under the floorboards of an old wooden building that is very close to the sea in a cove, it is used as a shop, I cannot tell you the exact location as it is top secret, all that I can tell you is that Captain Cornish,  Big Cheese, Majik and all of their other friends keep Cornwall the safe haven that it is today. You may think that it is the human variety that keep Cornwall safe but oh no- the very first whispers that they get of approaching danger,  they call upon their band of friends, they are known in certain circles as THE COSMIC CATS - their motto is “TOGETHER  WE CONQUER   impending dangers could be lightening bugs, snorkelpoogs, caterpillar worms and googlepoogs

The googlepoogs are just naughty, they are always getting into trouble, creating havoc wherever they go and whatever they do - Snorkelpoogs lay under the sand and when the human varieties  aren't looking they sneak their snorkels out and take bits of picnics ,then scurry off ,  back to the story.                                                                 

Captain Cornish was lapping up the Cornish sunshine when Majik came to him in a very excited state, Big Cheese kept telling Majik to be quiet as  the Captain had been kept awake all night  by the kippers playing  amongst the sea bed (well you do hear all these things when you live on the edge of the sea) and by the way, there aren’t  so many human varieties about, the reason Majik was so excited was he had just heard on the  catvine   that a very special cat was arriving  with his group of special cats.                                                                                  

King Oberon was going to visit Captain Cornish and his crew, he had only been to the cove twice before and that was when he met the other  members of the cosmic crew, there is Tristar Tristian ,Moonbeam , his twin brother  Winkey  and the beautiful  Mabs, and last but not least, Celtic The Wise, whom is a very old owl.                                                                                      

Now let me explain, Tristar Tristian is a very handsome cat, all the felines would be admiring him,  Oh Tristian you are so handsome , they would purr at him, Tristar knew that he was and he loved the attention, “do you really think so” ?   he would purr in a rather grand ‘posh’ voice,  and then lick his paw and wipe it along his eyebrow and slick them into an angle.