Chapter Ten - Sugar Cookie Hearts

Start from the beginning

"True, but your intentions have never exactly been world domination. All of us have our...regrets. Just most of them haven't quite been as public as destroying New York and attempting to enslave Earth's people," Natasha shrugs.

I nod slowly and turn back to the television. Now they're discussing the potential for requiring registration. They want to register all super-beings: heroes and villains alike. I mean, it doesn't seem like it's likely to happen or even be possible in the grand scheme of things, but the idea of it is positively chilling. They want to herd them all up and track them and label them. It's positively dystopian.

"Hello darling," Loki purrs into the nape of my neck. Natasha grabs the TV remote faster than I've ever seen anyone move and somehow manages to be both quick and nonchalant in changing the channel. "You abandoned me."

I tilt my head back and look at him upside-down, pasting a hasty smile on my face. "You know I'm a big fan of the hit-it-and-quit-it method," I laugh. He grins and leans down, placing a gentle kiss to my lips. I swallow the cruel feeling in my stomach and push it down to somewhere where I can ignore it.

"Romanoff, would you mind terribly if I stole my wife back from you?" Loki inquires, cocking his head slightly to the side. Natasha looks him up and down and nods, her lips pressed into a tight line. I shoot her a look but I don't think I have to worry about Natasha keeping this situation on the down-low. Loki takes my hand and then lifts me from the couch, swinging me up into his arms.

"You're in a good mood," I remark as he carries me out into the hall.

"How could I not be?" he asks as he returns me to my feet. "Stark has planned a trip for us."

"Where?"

"The city," Loki smiles as he ducks his face into my neck and presses his lips to the skin there.

I nearly choke. "New York City?"

"Yes, well, what other city is there in New York?"

I press a hand to Loki's chest and push him away. "Is that really such a good idea?"

"I hardly see why it isn't."

"Well it's just that you just got back. Aren't you tired? I'm tired. And there's still so much to catch up on! Let me regale you with the tales of my underground fighting career! Or we can talk about what you did in London? Do you want to have sex? We can do that. Let's do that!" I exclaim in a burst of word vomit. I wince at the sound of my own voice spewing distractions and Loki just searches my face closely.

"What aren't you telling me?"

"Me? Nothing! I just assumed maybe you'd like to relax after being away so long."

"I'm definitely still suspicious but I'm not going to do anything about it right now," Loki says finally.

"You're going!" I hear Stark yelling from somewhere behind me. Instinctively, I wince. "You have no say in this. I'm going to wine and dine you both and get you out of my hair."

"Well, aren't people going to recognize me?" Loki huffs. My thoughts exactly. He gestures up and down his frame. "And there's not exactly anything I can do about it. Magic disappears and the shape-shifting perks go right out the window."

"Shape-shifting perks?" Tony scoffs. Loki narrows his eyes.

"A skill that's extremely advantageous. You know, some people are actually capable of subtly. We don't all need flit about in a tin suit doing flips for the adoring masses, Stark."

"All right, that's enough out of your pet. Shut him up before I do," Tony snorts. The more I stand here listening to them argue the more I think getting out is a good idea. I haven't been outside in a while and I would rather claw my own eyes out than stand in the middle of a Stark-Loki dick measuring contest for another second.