The People We Meet and the Breadsticks We Eat

~~~~

The office building that housed the hellhole that Dean would be visiting every month from now on was cold and quiet. The air was somewhat stale and the only sound other than the low hum of the air conditioner was the sound of his father, John, his brother, Sammy, and his own footsteps, on the tile floor. They finally stopped at the door marked 401 and John turned to him.

"When you're finished up, text Sam so he can come get you." He nodded. John had only dropped him off because he was going straight to the airport after this. He worked away from home most of the time, and was often gone for several weeks at a time. John walked away after clapping him on the shoulder. Sammy, who had only just turned sixteen followed after him, pausing to wave back to Dean. He waved back before turning back to the door.

Dean didn't want braces. Not at all. The idea of having all that metal in his mouth was terrible. It was the end for him. He wouldn't be able to chew gum, wouldn't be able to make out with his girlfriend, Lisa, without having to worry about braces getting in the way. And to make matters worse, during his senior year. All of his homecoming and prom pictures would have the wires and brackets showing. He used to make fun of people with braces, and now he was going to become one of them.

He opened the door and sighed, looking at the waiting room. There were a few angsty looking teenagers sitting with their parents, probably reading fanfiction on their phones. IDean walked over to the front desk and cleared his throat, feeling a bit awkward.

"Hi, is there a place I'm supposed to sign in?" He asked. The lady at the desk looked up and smiled widely at him.

"Oh, there's a computer over there. Just enter your full name and take a seat!" She said, a bit too brightly for his grumpy mood.

Dean walked over to the computer monitor and entered his first and last name. The picture they had taken for Before and After pictures popped up and he cringed.

Closing out of the page, he went over to the waiting room and flopped into one of the chairs, pulling out his phone and opening Instagram. After almost five minutes, he heard someone call his name, and he looked up. A woman was smiling at him, and he got to his feet.

"Right this way, sweetie," She led Dean into another room, where rows of dentist chairs were, teenagers sitting in almost all of them. "My name is Pamela, I'll be the one putting your braces in. If you could sit here..." Pamela gestured to an empty seat, and he took it.

Putting the braces in was horrible. He almost bit Pamela five different times, and nearly got himself stabbed when she was putting the wire in between the brackets. By the time he had chosen the colors for the brackets, (orange and black, not like Halloween, but like tiger stripes), his teeth were so sore, he half expected them to fall out.

"Okay, you're all done!" Pamela said, handing him a Ziploc bag with a small mirror, a bag of little rubber bands, and a tiny toothbrush. "Use these whenever you brush your teeth to get a around the wires, and use these bands all the time, except for when you eat. Also, remember, you can't eat any corn, popcorn, hard candies, or caramel."

At this cruel reminder, Dean could feel his soul dropping out of his chest. He could eat nothing he liked. It was a sheer miracle that pie wasn't on that list, although he had a feeling that pecan pie was out. Why was life so cruel?

As he got out of the chair, Dean noticed Pamela was offering something else to me. He looked up and noticed that it was an ice-cream sandwich.

"Here, I imagine your teeth probably hurt like hell. This will probably help." She said, smiling when he took it. "Have a good rest of your day, sweetie, and make sure you set up an appointment for next month."