Chapter 28 - The Helicarrier

Magsimula sa umpisa

As they walk away I start to follow but am stopped by Fury saying. "Agent Howlett, please show Rogers where his room is." I stop and turn and walked back the table grabbed the suitcase and say, "Yes sir. Please follow me Captain." He nods and starts to follow me. We quietly walk down to the fourth level (The living quarters) when we make it to his room I turn and say, "This is your room, you'll find the documents you asked for on the bed." He nods and I turn and start to walk away when he says something that would change my life forever. 

"Why did you lie to me?" I stop and turn back to face him. I look around to make sure no one was listening to us and I say, "What are you talking about?"

 "Oh come on Maddy I know it's you." 

My body freezes in fear and I stutter as I say, "How did you?"

 Steve points down at my briefcase and says, "The pictures. Did you think I wouldn't figure it out?" I look around and then hear something from behind me. I quickly usher him into his room and close the door behind me as I turn to face him.

 "Steve I thought if you knew who I was things would get complicated." 

He rolls his eyes and turns away. "Maddy, I thought everyone I knew was dead. I was worried you were too." I walk over and set my briefcase down on the bed and turn back to face him. 

"Steve, I thought it would be better if you thought I was dead especially after the letter you sent to me." 

Steve stops me by saying, "What letter?" I look up into his eyes and see the confusion on his face.

"The letter saying you had fallen in love with Peggy, telling me to move on and marry Howard." 

Steve shakes his head, "Maddy I never wrote any letters." 

"What?" I say as the world starts to spin. I look down at the briefcase and fall down on the bed beside it and let out a sharp breath as I realize who had written it. 

"Maddy? Are you alright?"

 I nod and then say, "I know who wrote the letter."

 Steve kneels down in front of me and says as he cups the side of my face in his hands, "Who?"

my face strains as I say, "It must have been Howard; he was the one who gave me yours and Bucky's letters." I grab Steve's hand from my face and pull it down to hold it in my hands. "Steve I have to tell you something. I didn't marry Howard. When I thought you were dead I ran. I got in bad with a lot of people. I would've died and I wouldn't have cared, but Fury found me and instead of killing me he gave me a second chance." I lean forward and wrap my arms around him pulling him close to me. 

"I'm so glad he did." I feel Steve's arms wrap around me and hug me back. "Maddy, who's Anthony?" 

I tense and tears start to form in my eyes and I pull away as I say, "Anthony is my son. Howard showed up at my apartment one day and my urges got the best of me and then nine months later I had a son. I asked Howard and his wife Maria to take him and raise him. I wasn't any good to raise him. I was in a very dark place; my lifestyle was no way to raise a child. I wanted to tell him so many times after Howard and Maria died, but I knew he didn't want to see me. So I kept it a secret from all but a select few." Steve leaned forward and wrapped his arms tightly around me holding and comforting me.

I cried into his leather jacket for what seemed like forever when he finally pulled away from me and said, "Maddy, I still love you." 

I smile and say, "I never stopped loving you Steve." I lean forward and pull his lips to mine. Even after seventy years his kisses still taste like candy. He starts to deepen our kisses making them feel rougher. Not breaking our kiss he stands and lifts me up to lie on the bed next to him. His hands start to excavate my body. I intertwine my legs with his and smile up at him when he pulls away from me. His eyes shine down at me and for the first time in thirty-eight years I am happy. I let my hand fall to my side and it hits the briefcase full of pictures and my smile fades. 

"What's wrong Maddy?" 

I look back up into his gorgeous blue eyes and say, "I have to tell Anthony I'm his mother, but I don't know how." 

Before Steve can reply my phone goes off and its director Fury. "Maddy are you near Rogers?" I sigh and say "Yes sir." 

"We need the two of you on the bridge pronto." 

I take a deep breath and say, "Yes sir." I click my phone off then look up into Steve's eyes and kissing him I say, "Fury wants us on the bridge." He nods and then helps me up. "You can leave your briefcase here if you want." I smile and kiss his cheek. "Thank you Steve," Taking his hand we walk side by side up to the bridge. As soon as we see the bridge we release each other's hands and I walk over to Fury and he walks over to Coulson.