Colin looked at Sophie then and saw that she was longing for her home. He wished he could understand her feelings but alas, he could not.

“If you would like Princess… er… Sophie… you could trade places with me. I would love to travel around the country.” Colin said.

“I would love if you could!”

“I think the two of us look awfully similar. I am sure that if you stayed here and I went off with your father, he wouldn’t even be able to tell the difference.” Colin joked.

Sophie snorted she laughed so hard.

“I agree that we do look similar but I think that you may need some of my clothes.” Sophie continued.

Colin gasped, “You’re right! Hand me your bonnet!”

Sophie untied her bonnet and handed it to Colin, who put it over his shaggy brown locks.

Sophie cackled and bowed saying with a deepened, “How do you do Princess?”

“Quite well indeed!” Colin responded in a high pitched voice.

Sophie slapped Colin’s shoulder with her good arm, “I do not sound like that!”

“It’s not like you imitated me that accurately either!” Colin countered.

Sophie settled, “Fair enough. Do you mind if ee rest for a while?”

“No, not at all.” Colin told her.

They made their way to a bench nearby and sat.

“How old is Jessica?” Sophie asked.

“12 I think.” Colin told her.

“You think she’s 12! You don’t know your own sister’s age?” Sophie was startled.

Colin smirked, “I’ve a hard time remembering things like that.”

“And how old are you?”

“I’m 18.”

“I’ll be 18 come the September. I can’t wait!”

Colin smiled at Sophie as she daydreamed of days far off. Suddenly she snapped back to reality.

“I want to dance.” Sophie ordered.

Colin looked about then said, “I suppose it’ll have to be with me eh?”

Sophie nodded and Colin stood up. He bowed and extended his hand. Sophie took it.

Colin being very careful of Sophie’s arm managed to twirl her about in the most delightful way. Sophie felt all of her worries about Grandmother Elizabeth and her father float away with ever spin. Sophie had never felt this free before in her life. She never wanted to stop dancing with Colin. He didn’t step on her toes once; a much better dancer than any of the noble’s sons, that was for sure!

Jessica had been right, Sophie thought, Colin is the best dancer I’ve ever danced with.

Soon the pair was out of breath. Colin brought Sophie back to the bench, his arm still around her.

“That was magnificent!” Sophie exclaimed, her breath wheezing. “Jessica hadn’t been exaggerating!”

Colin smiled. Panting he told Sophie that she wasn’t such a terrible dancer herself.

Sophie slowly leaned into Colin’s arm; he was so muscular. Sophie felt herself slowly trusting him.

The two stayed like this for what seemed like hours. To them the world stood still. There was nothing but them and the garden around them. All that could be hard was the chirp of birds and the deep breaths the pair took in.

Sophie closed her eyes and let this peacefulness wash over her; she hadn’t felt this peaceful since she left Appleby weeks ago.

Sophie opened her eyes and saw the sun nearing the centre of the sky. She grudgingly left Colin’s arm.

“We should start heading back.” Sophie told Colin. He nodded and stood up.

The two walked back in silence, not because they were awkward around each other, but because they were comfortable enough to do so without being awkward. They would sneak glances at each other as they walked, admiring the other but not a word was spoken the entire walk back. Things were just simpler this way.

Colin feeling confident, about halfway back linked his arm with Sophie’s. She did not object and so they stayed.

Mark met the two at the edge of the garden.

“Long walk that was.” He remarked.

Noah came up behind Mark, “We best be getting home Colin, your mother will have already waited on us for lunch.”

Colin nodded and let go of Sophie, turned and  bowed, “Your Highness.”

Sophie smiled and curtsied, “Thank you for accompanying me today.”

“The pleasure was all mine.”

The two barely managed to conceal their secret from their fathers as their smiles dance on their lips.

“Perhaps, I will come to call you soon” Sophie told Colin.

“I am sure that Jessica would be happy to see you.” Colin responded.

“You are welcome any time Princess.” Noah added.

Sophie watched Colin and Noah leave and as she did, she suddenly grew sleepy.

“Papa, I think I will go rest for a while.” Sophie mumbled.

Mark took Sophie’s arm, “Yes, Monkey, I do believe you will need some rest after that walk.”

“Mhmm” Sophie muttered almost unintelligibly.

Sophie soon found herself surrounded by silky sheets and downy pillows. As her eyelids drooped she drifted into her memories of her stroll.