8 || Blue

Book 1 || Chapter 8

Selina

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about Hogwarts is that, in a school of hundreds, it is one of the loneliest places I've ever known.

I thought that maybe I'd have a chance at something new here, to be someone new. I should have known it wouldn't be so easy. I could blame it on nerves, it's only been a week after all, but then that wouldn't be honest.

There's an oppressive air around me every time I walk through the halls and sometimes I try to lose myself. But it's always there. Just, there. Sitting on my shoulders, on my chest, on my throat. I try to will it away but it always comes back. It's not as if I want to be alone, but it's easier that way.

I've skipped breakfast two days in a row now, in favor of the chilly morning air. I sit against a tree in the courtyard, twirling my wand between my fingers and a sketch pad on my lap. It was a gift from my parents some odd years ago.

"Do you think they'll ever write back?" I wonder aloud, scratching my familiar, Maggi, behind her ear. She lets out a low purr and curls closer against my leg. "Guess that's too much to ask for, isn't it? I'm sure they are very busy."

"Who's very busy?"

I jump, disturbing poor Maggi and sending my sketchbook flying off my lap. I look up, met with the curious stare of a certain green-eyed Potter.

"Oh! Hi Harry," I say, forcing a cheery smile. I scoop Maggi into my arms and fold my sketchbook close.

"Sorry," He scratches the back of his neck and averts his gaze to his feet. "Did I disturb you?"

"No. Not at all."

He sits down beside me, careful to keep at least an arm's length away. "I didn't know you draw." He says, gesturing to my sketchbook.

"Yes, well, you are not the only one who likes to remain a secret Mr. Potter," I say smartly. I offer a half smile and he laughs.

"Secret? My life is practically an open book."

"Hardly," I pull a few blades of grass from the ground and rub them between my fingers. "I can't seem to figure you out."

"Are you any good at figuring people out?"

"Well," I tap my chin before shrugging. "No, not really."

"Well then, that might explain it," He says with a short laugh and his gaze catches my own. His eyes glitter with small sparks of joy and I can't help but smile too.

"Tell me honestly," I say after a moment. "What is it like being Harry Potter: The Boy That Lived?"

His eyes fall to the ground and his smile drops down into a small frown. "I'm not much of anyone where I come from."

"What do you mean?"

"I didn't know magic even existed up until a few months ago," He explains, "So now it feels like I barely know who I am."

"Your family," I begin cautiously. "Did they not tell you?"

He lets out a bitter laugh, "They probably wish magic didn't even exist. Hell, they probably wish I didn't exist." He looks down at his lap and a minute passes.

"Well, I'm glad you exist," I say and he looks up. "You're the only friend I've made here and I hope you consider me your friend." His gaze is still drawn down but he smiles.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"What about you?"

"What about me?" I look up at him, a single eyebrow raised.

"What is like being Selina St.Prince: Our Princess and future queen?" He smiles a sad smile and I know he must see through me.

"A little lonely," I admit. "But I can't really complain, I'm better off than most people." I tuck my knees to my chest and fold my arms atop them.

There's a small pause, in which I close my eyes and let the wind whistle softly around us. "Do you know what I've noticed?" Harry asks. With my eyes still closed, I hum a response, urging him to continue. "While everyone else gets a package or letter from home during breakfast, you and I are the only ones that haven't."

I open my eyes and sigh, "I'm sure it'll be alright though."

"We have each other," He says with a small smile. "I'm sure we will be."

I smile back, wiping a small, unnoticeable tear in the corner of my eye.

"We'd better get to our lessons, we have flying today," He says, standing up.

"Flying?" My stomach drops a little and I swallow back the lump in my throat.

"With the Slytherins," He says, rolling his eyes a little. He holds out his hand and I take it, he pulls me up and we begin our trek to the training grounds, Maggi right at our heels.

"Can I tell you a secret?" I blush and intertwine my fingers nervously.

"Sure," he offers a comforting smile, "What are friends for?"

I grin. "Promise?"

"I promise."

"I'm actually deathly afraid of flying."

"No way," he stops a little ways back and I continue to walk. He runs to catch up beside me. "But that has to be the most exciting thing about being a wizard."

"Other than the magic, you mean?"

He laughs and I do too. "Yes, other than that."

"But," I turn on him sharply, wand outstretched and a mischevious smile. "Tell anyone and I will gladly hex you."

He puts his hands up in mock surrender. "You've got it, your majesty."

Author's Note

WHEW. I'm like nine months late with this update and I am so so sorry. This is probably also kind of disappointing since it is also only ~950 words but I tried. This chapter is just a fluff piece to dive a little deeper into Selina and Harry's friendship, since last time I tried writing this book, they didn't get to have that. No promises on the next chapter but I will try. As always, I love you all, thank you for your support!