1 || Platform Nine and Three Quarters

Book 1 || Chapter 1

Selina

For once, I wish more than anything to remain home. To remain in my bed and at peace. The thought of going to an actual school had been no more than an idle thought up until now. I have never actually been around many other kids my own age, I have to say, I didn't quite prefer them. Still, the pit of anxiety growing in my stomach seems only to remind me that all this served as practice for the title I was to assume upon my twenty-first birthday. No pressure there.

"Lina?" Alice had her hand placed upon my own, looking at me with puzzled eyes. I hum in response, meeting her pale blue eyes with my own dark brown ones.

"Are you all right? You seem faint." She says, putting her book down on the seat beside her.

"Just a little worried, that's all," I say with what I hope is a reassuring smile. I return my gaze to the window beside me as I watch London pass below me.

She removes her hand from my own but speaks again, "It will be alright. If it makes you feel any better, I'll be with you the entire time, so you needn't worry."

"I presume that is the benefit of having a cousin your own age," I say with a short laugh.

"I guess so," She muses, her smile evident in her voice.

The carriage sinks into a calm quiet and I lean my forehead against the cool glass. We begin our descent and the city is fast approaching. Had my stomach not already been turning, I might have thought the sight was beautiful. Instead, my stomach tossed and I was forced to pull the silk curtains shut. The soft padding of hooves outside alerted me that we had landed and slowly, the carriage rolled to a stop.

"I think perhaps I should step outside for a moment," I say. "I'm feeling a bit sick."

"Oh alright. I'll come with you." Alice says, closing the book she had been entertaining herself with.

"It's quite alright. I'll only be away for a few minutes." I assure her, already opening the carriage door beside me. She nods, a little unsure but returns her attention to the book before her.

I step out, met with a barrage of city noise and Muggle devices passing all around me. I wrap my robe tighter around me as I get a few stares from people passing by. It doesn't bother me as much as it intrigues me. I stray a bit further, feeling the watchful eyes that remain wary of my every movement.

I watch as the muggles chatter into little hand-held boxes, seemingly oblivious to whatever else happens around them. Couples walk around pointing animatedly at store windows, grinning as they clutch their partner's hand. Muggles walk into muggle buildings to do their muggle work and I wonder what that might feel like, For the first time, it occurs to me just how mundane my life seems in comparison.

In the midst of my distraction, I nearly don't notice the wand that rolls in front of me. I stumble to avoid stepping on it and lean down to pick it up. When I rise I notice a dark-haired boy staring at me with wide jade colored eyes behind a pair of broken spectacles.

"This wand must be yours," I say, holding it out towards him. I smile in amusement as his cheeks flush red in embarrassment. "I highly suggest you place this somewhere more secure."

"You wouldn't happen to be a wizard as well?" The boy asks warily, taking his wand from me and shoving it into his back pocket.

"Technically, I'm a witch," I say, shoving a dark brown ringlet behind my ear. After a moment I add, "My name is Selina."

"I'm Harry," He says. "I don't suppose you'd also know the way to platform nine and three quarters?"

"I'm afraid not," I say regretfully, tugging slightly at the pendant around my neck.

"It's alright, I'll find my way." His smile is friendly and reassuring that I can't help but smile back.

"Lina!" I look over my shoulder to see my cousin beckoning me over. I nod in her direction and turn back to Harry.

"I suppose I had better leave," I say, already beginning to walk backward.

"I guess I'll see you at Hogwarts then," He suggests, hopefully.

"Maybe so," I say and, flashing one more smile, I turn on my heel and make my way back to the carriage.

"Who was that?" Alice asks. Had it been anyone else I would have thought it'd been accusatory but her pale blue eyes still look inquisitively behind me.

"His name is Harry. He'll be a first year at Hogwarts as well," I respond and follow her gaze. The dark haired boy is making his way to the station, looking around him as if it were the first time he was seeing.

"I told you you'd be alright," Alice says, playfully nudging me in my side.

"Oi, hush," I say, laughing. "I may never see him again for all I know."

"But it's not too difficult, so I don't understand why you of all people were so worried."

I say nothing but offer her a small smile and link my arm through hers.

The chauffer clears his throat, causing my gaze to follow. "Your Highness, we are ready to depart to the station." He gestures to two neatly stacked trollies with our luggage atop. Two fairly large bodyguards stand behind them,

"We'd best take our leave then, the train leaves precisely at eleven and I don't suppose our parents would be all too happy if we don't make it on," I say, already making my way to the station entrance with Alice alongside me. We don't wait for a response and begin to walk ahead.

"You ready for this?" Alice asks, in her own slightly shaky voice.

"As ready as I can be."

Author's Note

Honestly, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this chapter. The beginning is a bit slow but it'll pick up eventually. I also thought I'd mention that Selina's name is pronounced Seh-lee-nuh so 'Lina' is pronounced Lee-nuh. In any case, I hope you all enjoyed. Please leave me some feedback in the comments, I would really appreciate it!