“Sophie this your Grandmother Elizabeth. The two of you met at the Lord Glenview’s ball a few nights ago.”

Grandmother Elizabeth looked Sophie up and down then asked who had made her frock.

“My seamstress back in Appleby, Laura.”

“It’s a lovely color of blue.” Grandmother Elizabeth commented.

“Blue is my favourite colour.”

“Ah, well the sling you’re wearing does not improve the look I must say.”

Sophie swallowed a sarcastic remark then looked at her father, whose unease was extremely apparent.

Grandmother Elizabeth sipped her ice water then asked, “Have you found any potential suitors Sophie?”

Sophie shook her head, “Um, no, not quite yet.”

Grandmother Elizabeth huffed, “You better hurry up Princess, you are almost 18.”

“I’m no rush.”

“Well, Princess you should be or you’ll find yourself 22 and without a husband. And I shall not neglect to remind you that you are responsible for bearing an heir to the throne. It isn’t like you have any siblings, the kingdom could turn to.” Grandmother Elizabeth said casting a look Mark’s way.

Mark took a deep breath in, “I will ask you kindly Madam to not comment on that subject.”

Sophie could see that her father was having a hard time restraining himself.

Grandfather Luke interjected about the newest opera, The Fairy Tree, showing in Appleby- a much less touchy subject- he asked Sophie if she had been to see it yet.

Sophie, relived to have to topic off her, told her grandfather that she had not been to see it yet.

“Well when you return home you must convince your father to let you go see it. The opera is truly spectacular!”

Sophie laughed, “I shall do my best to convince my father.”

Mark unease melted instantly, “Monkey, you know that you don’t have to convince me!”

Everyone except for Grandmother Elizabeth laughed.

The conversation continued in this manner- with everyone but Grandmother Elizabeth enjoying it- until the group was interrupted by one of Grandfather Luke’s personal servants.

“Your Grace, there is a man here who wants to inquire if there is a position available in the stables for his son.”

“Send them up.”

Grandmother Elizabeth scoffed, “Why must you always have the commoners in Luke?”

Grandfather Luke turned to his wife, “I’d like to meet the boy, make sure he is suitable for the job.”

“He’ll be shovelling excrement; there are hardly any qualifications the boy needs.” Grandmother Elizabeth muttered.

Just then Colin and Noah entered through the double doors at the end of the garden patio.

Sophie turned around in her chair, saw Colin and immediately blushed, as did Colin.

Grandfather Luke stood up and Colin and his father both bowed deeply.

Afterwards Luke greeted the pair warmly then addressed Colin, “M’boy, how are you?”

Colin forced a smile, “I am well Your Grace.”

“Glad to hear it! Come sit with us for a while. I am sure my granddaughter is yearning to talk with someone her own age!”

The three made their way to the cluster chairs.

Luke gestured to Mark, “Let me introduce my wife, Elizabeth, my son-in-law Prince Mark and his daughter Princess Sophie.” Sophie waved to the pair.

Noah and Colin bowed again.

Mark came forward and shook both men’s hand, “It’s a pleasure to meet you both.”

“Likewise Your Highness.” Noah replied.

Luke gestured that they should take a seat. Colin ended up next to Sophie.

“Would either of you like some ice water?”

Both Colin and Noah nodded.

Soon the adults drifted into a conversation about neighbouring Oshawa, leaving Sophie and Colin silent.

Sophie wanted so badly to ask Colin about what came over him yesterday but knew doing so would peak the interest of the adults around them. She needed a plan.

Colin was nervous and quite liked that there was no chance that Sophie and he would have to speak with each other.

Sophie looked towards the massive garden that her grandparents had and wished she could take a walk in them. There’s my excuse, Sophie thought.

“Papa?” Sophie asked.

Mark turned to Sophie, “Yes Sophie?”

“May I take a walk in the gardens, I promise not to go far?”

Mark bit his lip, unsure of whether Sophie could handle the exertion, “I am not sure Sophie. You have not yet regained full health. I wouldn’t want you to be alone; what if something was to happen to you. If you would like to take a walk I will accompany you.” Mark began to stand up.

Grandfather Luke interjected, “Nonsense Mark! Let Colin accompany the Princess. I am sure the two of them do not want to sit around and hear us jabber on about nothing! Let them take a walk together!”

“My husband has a point.” Grandmother Elizabeth agreed.

“If the Prince would prefer to accompany his daughter I am sure my son will understand.” Noah told Luke.

“No, I believe it is good for my daughter to spend time with people her own age. Colin you may accompany Sophie. Make sure she doesn’t do any further damage to herself.”

Colin felt the lump in his throat grow bigger.

Sophie smiled; she had gotten what she wanted.