The Host Club's New Hostess

I huffed as I reached the floor and collapsed on the ground, breathing heavily. A multimillion dollar school, I scowled. And they couldn't even buy elevators? You would think that a school this rich would be able to at least afford an escalator for every floor. I mean, the fountain outside looked like it was made of gold. At least gold mixed with some other fancy metal.

I sat up and looked around while I caught my breath. A huge window was open opposite me. from it, I could see the grounds and the gardens. I could see the maybe-golden fountain with the maybe-golden statue of the boy peeing out water. That thing had just been hilariously obscene to me. Rich people are horribly eccentric, aren't they?

Exploring the entirety of Ouran High had been a daunting, and undeniably terrible choice of how to spend the hour before my mom finished her meeting with the superintendent and dropped me at my cousin's place. As much as I loved my mom, I couldn't wait for her to go back to England and leave me in Japan with my cousin. I hadn't seen the girl in about two years, since I was fourteen.

I wasn't actually rich. I was only in Ouran as a result of the semi-scholarship I had won, which meant that my parents were allowed to pay a 45% discount on the school fees. My parents occupied the slightly upper middle class area. They earned a little more than the ordinary wage, but not enough to be considered totally affluent.

Suddenly, the sounds of loud laughter reached my ears. Curiously, I got to my feet and smoothed a hand over the skirt of my dress. I grimaced. As a sort of goodbye-I won't see-you-for-about-a-year gift, some lapse of judgement on my part had agreed to allow my mother to dress me up.

That had been a big mistake. My mom and I differ when it comes to clothes. I like dark colours, and dislike pink. She once tried to convince me to bleach my hair strawberry blonde with her at the salon she frequents in England.

Anyway, I was now wearing a white and pale blue-striped sundress with spaghetti straps. The dress had a flared skirt, and I was wearing matching blue wedge-heels. My brown-black (more black than brown) hair was tied up in two high pigtails on each side of my head. The tips of the tails stopped just above my waist.

I tossed a stray strand of hair out of my eyes, and followed the sound to a large door. The Third Music Room....

The laughter was definitely coming from inside. I wondered what was going on that seemed so amusing. School was over, so it couldn't be a class. Maybe it was a club! I pushed the door open, and was nearly blinded by a bright white light. A flurry of pink rose petals then hit me in the face. One even entered my mouth, and I spat it out before I could choke and die.

"Welcome!" The light cleared to reveal seven boys. Six were standing around a plush armchair, in which the seventh sat. I froze in the doorway. Holy crap where the hell am I?

The one in the chair suddenly whirled in front of me, and I took an inadvertent step back. He was definitely good-looking, with blonde hair, purple eyes and a pretty-boy smile. He looked foreign, definitely not Japanese. I'm going with either French or English.

"Welcome, princess!" He took my hand in his and I stared at him blankly. Look, I have no idea who the hell you are, so could you please stop touching me? "What is your name?"

Apparently, he was not too well versed in the art of reading body language. "Uh...Daichi Kyoko," I replied, rather warily. Overly cheerful people sometimes scared me.

He beamed. "Ah, what a beautiful name! Almost as beautiful as its holder!" And with that, he kissed the top of my hand very gently. I blinked. Oh...kay...

I was not very used to being touched so casually by boys, so I was pretty stumped by this guy. He didn't seem perverted, nor did he seem disgustingly smarmy. So I just pulled my hand out of his grip, very slowly, and (when he wasn't looking, I'm not that mean) I wiped it on the back of her dress.