Chapter 8

Clary POV

There are fifteen messages from Izzy on my phone when I wake up. I lazily pick it up and look at them.

Are you mad at me?

Is this about the whole less is more opinion with your closet and black?

If it is I'm sorry.

Seriously? TALK TO ME FRAY!

Clary?

CLARY!?

Look, I'm sorry for whatever I did.

But can you actually tell me what it is I did?

Clary!

TALK TO ME!

THIS FUCKING SILENCE IS DEAFENING!

ALL I WANT TO DO IS HAVE GIRL TIME WITH YOU BUT YOU'RE GIVING ME THE COLD SHOULDER!

Did I even do anything?

If Jace caused this I'm gonna kill him.

Why won't you answer!?

The last text is from twenty minutes ago. I feel kinda bad, but I can't deal with this right now. I'm seeing my mom for the first time in six years today.

The tricky part us coming up with a valid excuse. If my dad found out I where I was going he'd flip shit. He hates her so much for what happened. The memory of it is still vivid in my head.

Dad and I are coming back home from what was going to be my piano lesson. Dad got a call when we were halfway there that Stephen was sick today and couldn't come. We were just gonna get ice cream instead, but he forgot his wallet.

I wish Jon was here, but he has baseball tonight. So, I grab my backpack so I can finish my homework. I sit down at the dining room table and start working on my science homework. I look up to see Dad glaring at a jacket draped on one of the chairs in the living room.

He looks at me staring at him confused and says, "Can you please do that in your room, Clarissa?" I nod and pack it up before walking to my room. Whenever he uses my full name he's being entirely serious. I close my door and set up my homework on my desk before working on it again.

After a few minutes, I start hearing yelling coming from the hallway. I silently close my science book and creep towards my door. I open it a crack and look out to see my parents' bedroom door fly open and a man without a shirt on come running out. Dad follows out soon after yelling about how the man had betrayed him and Mom came out not a second later. She's only in her bra and pants.

The man turns around to yell something back at my dad. As the shouting continues, I quickly close and lock my door, not caring how much noise it makes. I rush to my bed and curl up in my covers as the tears start to stream down my cheeks. I don't come out or open the door when my parents or even Jon comes knocking. I just cry.

I shake the memory out of my head. I don't need to be remembering how my mom cheated on Dad right before I go to see her. It wouldn't give her a fair chance. I simply push the memory aside and start to get ready.

I quickly get dressed in a t shirt with 'Don't you ever forget about me' on it with 'Sleeping with Sirens' under it, light wash jeans, black combat boots, and a black jacket. I stuff my phone, wallet, and some other things in a black fashion backpack. Okay, maybe Iz was right about all the black in my closet. I put some black and silver studs in my double piercings. Yes, the double part is new. Yesterday I wanted to do something new. So, I got the double piercing and a pretty awesome stud in my nose. I've gotta say, the nose one is somewhat meant to piss of off my mom.