Storytime

Rajae's P.O.V (raw-Jay)
My mother Zara Jackson fell in love with a man named Hosea Martinez who later on became my father my mom and my dad had to separate a total of twenty times just to be together one reason she was African American and he was Mexican everyone around them criticized their relationship saying a black can't be with a Mexican or anyone other than her skin color, both sides of their family saw them as a disappointment for embarrassing their family but that didn't keep them away from each other. Things escalated so bad my mom was in a medical comma due a beating by a Anglo and my father was is the hospital for three months with a head injury, my grandparents didn't even visit them I thought they were done both being hurt and broken down by words and actions but their love was too strong they still stayed together they even got married. They moved from my mothers hometown New Jersey to my fathers hometown in Mexico but as soon as they saw my mothers face they were only able to stay three days before a mob came and tried to burn down their house so they moved to Miami, a couple of months later my mom was pregnant with me she told me how happy my dad was they were finally in a safe environment where no one but a few people hated their relationship and marriage they even got to patch things up with their parents.

My mom used to tell me stories when I was little how anyone could be with anyone no matter race, color or gender you don't judge them even if you see two females laughing together then sharing a passionate kiss it shows they love one another, my mom did tell me it was a sin to love someone that was the same gender but you just stay out of it and be happy my aunt married an Anglo and had three kids and were deeply in love before my uncle passed away when I was 9 even my father came in and talked to me his sister married an African American and their only son is dating a Asian. No matter what race or color you are it doesn't control who you want to spend the rest of your life with once you find who your ready to give anything up just to be with them don't let them go is what my mom would tell me every night before I went to bed, it was like a tradition since I was born till now after she said it my dad would always appear on time leaning against my doorframe watching us and when she was done both of them would claim a kiss on my cheek, giving me a hug before leaving my room.

I'm not really interested in finding love at the moment I just got accepted into my dream college barely receiving a scholarship because guess what...you got it my color in their eyes they saw me as dumb niggro when I was pushing my ass off in school just to graduate with a high GPA and get into a good college to help my family, my mom only got to go to school till she was a senior before getting kicked out because in high school was when my mom first layed eyes on my dad. The school didn't like it because the more time the two spent together in school, during and after both of their grades and scores slowly dropped so they kicked my mom out so my dad could focus but my dad wasn't going to have that so he dropped out just to be with my mom.

I'm the only one getting to actually go to a college both my mom and dad only went for three months and the same thing happened since theirs dorms were three hallways away, their classes next door and went to the same place to eat their grades diminished and this time my dad was kicked out, the college saw my mom as a bright women but she seemed so miserable without my dad so she dropped out and got together with my dad their love is way to strong to be broken if one left the other would follow, if one cried the other would comfort two peas in a pod.

I watch from the safety of my chair curled in a blanket with my glasses a book in my hands as my mom and dad cook together my moms long dark brown hair is pulled into a neat bun her favorite dark blue headband with daisy on her head a bang hanging over her chocolate eyes, her blue sundress is wrapped in a black belt her white flags on, my dad has a arm wrapped around her waist tight their sides touching my dad has his hair slightly spiked wearing a white shirt and jeans. I smile as they laugh throwing flour at each other I'm 17 and they still treat each other as if it was high school all over again "how about less throwing and more cooking I'm hungry" I say as they turn to me my mom blushes as my dad kisses her cheek, "how's your classes going bookworm?" My dad ask as he comes over to me and ruffles my hair "come on dad it took me a while to get my hair like this but overall there great" I say closing my book looking up into my dads green eyes.

If you studied my dad you would almost think he was just a light skinned but thanks to him I know Spanish and I can even have a conversation in Spanish back in Miami when they had just had me my mom was working because MIAMI was still trying to get used to my dad marrying a African American and having a child, he cooked me enchiladas every night when my mom wasn't home, took me to annual cook outs sometimes in his hometown when his family accepted me. He would sometimes beg my mom once a month to take me to Louisiana for Mardigra because that is the one place where people from all over would attend so you were able to fit in when I was born I inherited my mothers brown skin that almost looks Carmel in the sun, her long wavy chocolate hair but my dads lips, eyes and background that's why I can mostly speak Spanish and have a love for Mexican food. "Just let us know if it gets too hard sweetie remember your dad and I are here to help" my mom says over her shoulder "I know but for now I think I got it" I say as I fold up my cover placing my glasses on the side table.

My classes I take now are online because I don't start my college classes till a month I just got my acceptance letter and my scholarship so I'm just taking online courses to get my memory jogged up and I take a few classes "alright guys I'm hitting the sack I'm tired I have to get up early tomorrow for class" I say as I stretch my back, "alright sweetheart goodnight" my mom says as I give her a quick peck on the cheek "see ya tomorrow kiddo" my dad says as I kiss his cheek before heading upstairs. The class I attend can tend to get a little racist since I'm about the only African American that attends with other races but they tend to pick on me but I honestly don't car in one more month I'm moving to New York, I change into a tank and bottoms before climbing in bed I let out a sigh and slowly close my eyes hearing my mom and dad laugh as I hear music begin to play...one day.