Chapter 18: Into the Basement

Start from the beginning

I nodded even though I had no idea what she meant. And for a moment, I wondered if she should've been the one going into the basement. She was the smarter and braver. There was a strength in her that I knew I'd never have. She was better than me in every way possible. But I was going to do it. I was going to do it for her.

*      *      *

No one really said anything when I told them I was going into the basement. I think they were too shocked. Not even the twins and The Marionette had anything to say. It was my turn to be shocked, though, when Kit asked Light to help and he agreed without putting up a fight. He just nodded, his eyes wide, and followed us into the kitchen.

The others huddled by the table and watched as the three of us went to the basement door. I turned backed and saw Boy. I tried to smile at him, but he turned and grabbed onto Evry.

I thought about saying goodbye to him. There was a real possibility I wouldn't be coming back. With every passing second, that realization became even more real. My heart beat faster and faster. What was I doing?

I slipped a lighter and a long, thin candle into my jeans pocket. The butcher's knife went into the front pouch of my hoodie. It bounced off my stomach with each step I took.

The plan was that Light would stand at the top of the stairs and shine a beam down into the basement. This would help me see and also find my way back out. The candle was for when I had to move out of his light. Although, it wasn't very promising. Whenever we'd tried using candles around the house, they always blew out within seconds even though we never felt a draft or anything. Maybe the basement would be different, but I doubted it. I took the candle anyway.

Kit opened the basement door and then turned to Light. She tried to look brave, but there was a pained, guilty look on her face. "Okay, Light," she said. "Do your thing."

He nodded. "I . . . I'll try."

"You can do it," Kit said. "I know you can."

I didn't think he'd actually go through with it, but he stepped down onto the top stair, made a fist, and pointed it down the stairs. The glass discs on his hand popped with light. A weak beam flickered out of his fist.

Kit reached out and put a hand on his shoulder. "Great job, Light. You're doing it. I knew you could."

He half-smiled for a second before scrunching up his face. The beam stopped flickering. It grew brighter and brighter. "I can do this," he said to himself. "I can do this."

I looked back at the group by the kitchen table. Their faces weren't as gloomy as before. They all seemed impressed, relieved that Light was actually able to help.

I wanted to smile and say something to them. I wanted to hug my brother. I did neither. Instead, I slipped past Kit and stepped down onto the top basement stair.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Words?" Kit said.

I nodded without looking at her.

You have to turn to the left to go down the stairs. When I turned and looked down them, I was taken back. Seeing everything lit up was weird. Somehow it looked even scarier than when it was choked with darkness. I could see that the stairs were a giant framework of splintery boards. The walls cracked and grimy.

The rough wood of the stairs pricked at my feet. It wasn't until then that I realized I wasn't wearing socks or shoes. I thought about going back to put on shoes, but if I did that I might chicken out for good. If I was going to go down there, I had to do it right then.

I went down a step, then another, and another. The stairs creaked with every move I made. I could feel the framework sway beneath me. After six stairs, you sunk lower than the walls and either side of you opened up into dusty, dark air. Twelve stairs down, there was a rectangular landing that turned to the left and led to even more stairs.