Chapter Eleven: A Complicated Love

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"You know, the whole 'martial arts' stuff." Akane avoided mentioning anything in the car, as Mori had drilled into her head to be careful and wary of all strangers, the car driver included.

Kyoya smiled, pushing up his glasses. "Well, let's just say that I don't exactly agree with 'how they deal with things'." He gave her a look, meaning he was talking about Waru, before flipping open his notebook again.

Akane sighed, her heart beating against her chest. So this was what it felt like to be in love.

The car pulled up in front of the festival. It was an outdoors festival, and glowing multicolored lamps hung above the stalls. A small crowd had already gathered at the base of a small stage, which had a grand piano sitting on it.

"Guess that's where I'm playing." Akane mumbled. She suddenly noticed Kyoya wasn't behind her anymore. She glanced around, and found him examining one of the stalls. She walked over. "Kyoya-senpai? What're you looking at?"

"Hmm? Oh, nothing. It's rather puzzling that they'd have black pearl jewelery at a music festival. You'd think a music festival would have music related items and activities."

Akane giggled. "Gosh, senpai. There are music related things here. But there's also a lot of other stuff as well. I mean, there are a lot of possible customers here."

"That's true. These commoner ways are puzzling."

Akane rolled her eyes good naturedly, before heading off towards the stage, where the other Hosts were waiting.

"Yay! Aka-chan!" Honey cried, jumping onto her shoulders.

"Oof! Good to see you too, Honey-senpai. You guys weren't waiting for a long time, were you?"

Haruhi walked up to her. "No, not at all. You'll do great, Akane!"

"Use her French identity, Haruhi." Mori reprimanded.

Akane smiled. "Hey, don't worry about it. After all, the people here already know me as Akane Hayashi."

Suddenly, a group of maybe twenty elementary and middle schoolers raced up. "Wow! Are you Akane Hayashi?"

Akane frowned. "Yeah, I am."

"Cool!"

"We've heard every single one of your performances!"

"You're amazing!"

"I wanna be just like you!"

"Can I have your autograph?"

"Yeah! I want your autograph, too!"

"Me too!"

"Me three!"

Akane blinked in surprise as the children surrounded her, all holding out pens and pieces of paper for her to sign. "Oh, um, sure!" She signed paper after paper after paper. She even signed photos of herself.

"Wow, Akane." The twins remarked. "They're even handing out photos of you. Are you really that famous?"

Akane shrugged. "I dunno about your definition of 'famous', but a lot of people know about me in the musical world."

A young woman hurried over to Akane just as the last child left. "Miss Hayashi! Good, you're here. Please, we're ready for you onstage."

Akane looked back at the others. "Well, I guess I'll see you all later. Have fun!" She smiled over her shoulder, then followed the young woman onto the stage.

Kyoya smiled, then sank back with the other Hosts as a large crowd gathered at the foot of the stage. The young woman grabbed the microphone. "Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. May I present to you all, Miss Akane Hayashi!"