Chapter Eleven: A Complicated Love

Începe de la început

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?" Tamaki demanded angrily.

Akane didn't say anything. The twins both liked-----her?

She stood up and walked over towards them. They glanced up at her approach, both turning beet red.

She looked down at her feet. "Um--- uh---- never mind. Sorry I disturbed you two." She blushed, then hurried off. She could feel the stares of both twins boring into her back. What should she tell them? After all, did she even have any feelings for either of them? What would happen if she told them? 

And most of all, who did she like?

Soon, the night of the music festival arrived. Akane straightened the wig she wore, which looked close enough to her long black hair. She smoothed the pale purple dress Haruhi had lent her. The dress reached just past her knees, and was trimmed in silvery white lace. The sleeves were also trimmed in white lace cuffs, hanging just over her shoulders. Delicate dark purple flowers were embroidered into the pale purple fabric.

Akane sighed, looking into the mirror. 

"Well, tonight's the night, hmm?" A voice behind her remarked. She glanced over her shoulder. 

"Kyoya-senpai? What's up?"

"Not much. Just wanted to let you know, we'll be at the festival as well."

"Hmm? Why?"

Kyoya smirked. "Well, we have nothing better to do. And besides, who knows? Maybe it'll be rather entertaining after all."

Akane sighed again. "Fine. We'd better get a move on, if we're not gonna be late."

"Ah, yes. We'll be meeting the others at the festival location. Ladies first?"

She grabbed a jacket and headed out the door, Kyoya following her. They piled into the car, and it pulled out into the streets.

As Akane watched the trees and lights flash by the window, she felt a little knot in her gut. It definitely not stage fright; she wasn't even on stage yet, and she was hardly ever nervous for a performance. No, this feeling was something completely different. Akane's eyes widened as she realised she had had this feeling before, whenever Kyoya was around.

"No way. No stinkin' way----" She breathed quietly.

"Is something wrong, Akane?" Kyoya asked.

"No! Not at all!" She turned back to the window. Was it possible that she liked Kyoya-senpai? Not the fun-loving twins, not cute little Honey, not the strong and silent Mori, but the cool, collected Kyoya Ootori? Akane took a deep breath, and dared a glance over her shoulder. Kyoya was reading from his black notebook, his glasses flashing in the light from the streetlamps. Sure, he was good-looking, but that wasn't really what got her attention.

Kyoya was always so cool, calm, and mature, unlike many of the other Hosts. He was independent, yet the Hosts relied heavily on him. He could analyse any situation in the blink of an eye, and turn it to his favour. He was one of the most level-headed Hosts in the entire club.

And yet he was also a nice guy. He cared about things, even if he did his best to cover it up. He cared about the Hosts, the Host Club, and a lot of other stuff that didn't include money.

Akane smiled to herself. He was so different from the other Hosts, and yet, she realised that he had caught her attention from the very beginning.

Kyoya looked up. "Hmm? What now, Akane?"

"I was just thinking about stuff. Say, Kyoya-senpai. Why did you agree to go along with all this?"

"Go along with what?"