Part Forty Seven

Chapter Forty Seven

Coop could barely contain the pleasure that burst through him as he watched Freya's face fill with wonder and surprise as her eyes flicked from the menu in her hands, to the view from their table. He loved coming to this place, the 360 restaurant at the top of the CN tower. The first time he'd come to Toronto as a kid his Dad had brought him there. It was ridiculously expensive, but the view, the novelty, the whole experience was always special to him.

And it pleased him SO much to see that Freya looked as enthralled with all as he was. The menu was good, probably overpriced, but it came with so much more that he honestly felt it was worth it. Freya's eyes were still drawn to the view as the revolving window showed Toronto in all its glory, every few seconds a new part of the city making itself known.

"This is amazing." She closed the menu, "you'll have to order for me, I can't concentrate!"

Laughing he gestured to a waiter and ordered them a drink, then after hearing the specials chose for them both. She gasped when she saw the price on the menu, but he brushed her concerns away.

"Sorry that you've just got chicken..."

She finally met his eyes, "well this place seems to be a pregnant woman's nightmare, all fish and raw eggs. I think I'm being TOO overprotective...I mean I LOVE lobster...but I just don't feel like it...or steak. My appetite has changed."

He smiled, "it's a few months, I'll buy you a dozen when the baby has stopped screwing with your senses."

"I miss coffee too, but the smell makes me feel sick."

"Like I say it's not for long. I'll buy you ANYTHING you want when the baby comes, I promise."

She rolled her eyes, "I'll TAKE anything I want once the baby comes you won't have time to give, you got that Mister?"

Coop had spent some of his college years in Toronto, so as the restaurant turned he pointed out places, locations, sights that meant something to him. Places he'd worked, lived and loved in his younger years.

"Seriously? You took a girl on a date to a cemetery?"

He shrugged, "it was a bet. And you know how I am with a challenge."

Shaking her head she reached for her orange juice and took a sip, "so did you get date two?"

"Can't remember, I was never that bothered. I never wanted more than that day. You know?"

She chewed on a piece of asparagus watching him and he felt as though he might blush. He hadn't intended to share so much with her, but it seemed so natural when they were together like this, he WANTED to share things with her. It felt right.

"So you took her to that cemetery, kissed her, then never dated her again?"

That made him laugh, "you make it sound so crass!"

She gave him such a seductive, knowing smile that he felt his heart surge in his chest, "really? That just describes that man I met six months ago."

All the warmth that he'd felt in her smile disappeared as nausea replaced it, she was right, he'd always been that man, the rolling stone gathering no moss, the distant lover who never called back, the deserter...could he really change?

"Hey, it was a joke," her voice dragged him from his reverie. "Don't go all distant..."

He sighed, "you're right though. I am the guy you remember, not the one I'm trying to make you see today. This was a bad idea."