Epilogue

Epilogue

"Have you got everything?"

Freya groaned as she moved her cumbersome body across the lounge, "will you STOP nagging me? The car is packed; your kit is ready to go. There is nothing left to chance."

She smiled as Mitchell Cooper emerged from the downstairs cloakroom, his skates hung over his shoulder, "why you can't leave those at the rink I don't know. Think of the hassle it would save."

He shook his head as he crossed the room to join her, swooping to kiss her lips, "au contraire, it is LUCK for me to take them, how else will we have a chance of winning?"

She rolled her eyes, "I cannot believe how superstitious you are!"

He stooped to plant a kiss on her distended abdomen, "you keep safe little man."

When he pulled back to his full height she rolled her eyes again, "little MAN? This has a fifty percent chance of being a girl."

He shook his head, "no way. You look SO different to when you were carrying Elena, this is definitely a boy."

"Talking of Elena, she's in the car waiting for you too!"

When he finally appeared, locking the door behind him, she was sat in the passenger seat of his SUV waiting. Jumping into the driver's seat, he smiled at her, then glanced in his rear view mirror at their beautiful fifteen month old daughter who was sat in her car seat smiling as she always did.

"So as soon as I'm changed we'll leave for the cabin."

She nodded, "I'm happy to drive, I have told you so many times. You need to chill out and mentally prepare for your game."

He closed his eyes for a moment, then started the engine. The elaborate displays of superstition and anxiety were the only hint as to how nervous he was. He was playing in a final playoff game for his semi-professional team, and the series was tied. Winner took all that night, and it wasn't the playing that made him nervous, it was the fact that he was the coach too that made him anxious.

But straight after the game, regardless of the result they were heading north to the lakeside cabin for the next couple of months, and she couldn't wait. They'd modified it over the last eighteen months; it had better insulation, better heating, and a hot tub. Plus the room that had stored all of Milo's life had been emptied and made into a bright colourful room for their daughter. Time with no one bothering them on their little beach...it sounded like heaven, and just the way she wanted to spend the last twelve weeks of her pregnancy.

The ice rink car park was full to bursting, but the 'coach' space next to the door was empty and Coop pulled straight into it. After helping Freya and Elena out of the vehicle, he grabbed his skates, then carrying his daughter, led his wife into the ice rink.

They were greeted by everyone there, the interest in the team had escalated since Coop had joined, the rink was a sell out every game, and this was the first play off in the team's history. They battled into the arena past friends, fans and more media than was normal.

Coop turned to Freya, "you ok?"

She nodded, taking Elena from her husband, "fine. We'll be up there..." She nodded in the direction of the seats, "cheering you on all the way."

Smiling he leaned in and kissed her, "and that is all the luck I need."

They lost, by one goal in overtime. It was as close as they could ever get to winning. But tonight was not to be their fairy tale. It was way after ten when the final buzzer sounded, but instead of being devastated, the team whilst disappointed, hugged and celebrated what was an amazing achievement. And the fans shared that.