Chapter 10: The Heartbreaking News

MJ's P.O.V.

“Umm... wait. Could the boys... leave?” I asked in a tiny voice. The lads looked surprised. Well, I expected them to be surprised... I think I know what I'm sick of. “Why do you want us out?” Liam and Louis asked, shock still evident in their face and tone of voice. How do I tell them that I have an idea of what I'm sick of? Niall and Harry said, “Why?” What do I say? “J-j-just please... leave.” I said in just above a whisper. The doctor, Mr. Jenkins asked the boys to leave and the lads followed him. Once the door was shut, I asked the doctor to make sure they weren't eavesdropping. Mr. Jenkins did and said, “Coast is clear.”

“Ms. Collins, I do believe that you have an idea of what your condition is, since you asked them out of the room... Am I right?” Mr. Jenkins clarified. I nodded. “So, I'd like to tell you, that based on your MRI and the tests that we've done, You are diagnosed with... brain tumor...I'm sorry.” I gasped. How will I tell the lads?! “Mr. Jenkins,” I called. “Yes?” Mr. Jenkins answered. “Would... would.. It be possible that only you and I would know about this?” I asked. “Yes. But you would still have to tell them sooner or later... I have one question though... How about the medications? The expenses?” Mr. Jenkins replied. “Don't worry about that. I think I have enough money for those...” I confidently answered. “Well then! Just come here every Thursday for check-ups.” Mr. Jenkins told me. “Wait. When will you give my medication? And do I have any restrictions?” I quietly queried. “Oh yes! Thanks for reminding me. You don't have much restrictions. You are just not allowed to be too tired; sleep more. And if you're asking about medication, you might have to undergo a surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy.” Mr. Jenkins explained. “Oh. And before I leave, how did you get an idea of what you're diagnosed with?” Mr. Jenkins asked.

*Flashback* (A/N: Play the song Blessings by Laura Story.)

MJ, The doctor said I-I... have... brain cancer.” Melanie, my best friend cried. I was shocked! “He also said that I have.. only.. o-one month to live.” Mel continued. I had tears falling down from my eyes, as well as Mel. Mel has been my best friend since I got in the Yellow Joy Orphanage. Mel was four years older than I. She was confined in the hospital for a month 'til she went back to our God. I mourned for a week. A week long only?! Yes. Only a week long.

Instead of Mel feeling more pain and suffering, God removed it. He might've took the life of my only best friend, Mel, but at least, now, she no longer will feel pain nor sorrow.

*End of flashback*

“MJ! Ms. Collins?” The doctor called. “Oh. Sorry. I had an idea... because I'm not an average 14 year old. I'm already in Grade 10 and brain tumor was my topic for the past research paper,” I answered. I didn't lie... I just didn't say the part about Mel. “Mr. Jenkins?” I called. He looked at me. “Thank you. Please do remember not to tell my parents about this.” I reminded. He just nodded and left the room.

Liam's P.O.V.

Once we left MJ's room, we went to the seats outside and waited. “Why would she want us out?” Lou asked, confusion etched on his face. I shrugged. “I don't understand.” Niall complained. “Neither do I.” Harry muttered. “Maybe after all, she doesn't want to be adopted... or... well, I don't know?” Zayn suggested. I fumed. I snapped my head in his direction and said in an angry tone, “How dare you say that? You're the ONLY one who doesn't like her among us. You're the one who caused her to hit her head on the wall... What if because of that, she got internal bleeding or something?!” Zayn raised his hands in surrender. We, except Zayn, just shook our heads in disappointment and frustration. Ten to fifteen minutes had already passed! What could have happened to MJ?! Is she sick with something serious? I don't think I can handle it if something bad happened to her. All of us were worried, well, not Zayn though. I don't understand why he doesn't like our little princess. MJ never did anything to Zayn. With a couple minutes of the same trail of thoughts running in my mind, I suddenly got alert when I heard a door open and saw the doctor leaving. “Uh. Guys? The doctor left MJ's room already...” Zayn called out. All of us stood up and walked to MJ's room. Once we got in MJ's room, she was smiling so brightly. I wonder what happened. Does she have good news? What did the doctor tell her? “MJ, what did the doctor tell you?” I cautiously asked. “Uhh... Da-Liam, the doctor said that I could leave already. You just have to sign some papers and I'm freeeee!!!” MJ cheered with a very bright smile. I smiled and hugged her while whispering in her hair, “Thank God you're okay. I don't think I can stand it if you got sick with something really serious.”

MJ's P.O.V.

Once they came in faked a huge smile. Liam asked me, “MJ, why are you smiling? What did the doctor tell you?” What should I answer? I answered, “Uhh... Da-Liam, the doctor said that I could already leave. You just have to sign some papers and I'm freeeee!!!” I felt really bad for lying but I don't think I have much of a choice, right? My dad, I mean, Liam, smiled and hugged me while whispering in my hair, “Thanks God you're okay. I don't think I can stand it if you got sick with something really serious.” Okay, now I really don't want to tell them. It would break my heart if I would see any of them crying. After a couple of minutes, Liam signed all the necessary papers and we left. I hope the next few days would be okay.

[edited]