Chapter 4: Too Close?

The following week Kayla and Kyle kept seeming to get closer and closer  so I eventually decided to talk to her about it.

On a Friday evening I phoned her from the comfort of my home because seriously , who does these things face to face anymore ?

"Hi Kayla?"

All I can hear are giggles in the background and the occasional snort

"Hi ,oh sorry, I just got the funniest text from Kyle, he is so sweet you know?"

"Yer I actually kinda wanted to talk to you about him , you see I-"

I was interrupted by a line of excited giggles
" Kayla? Anyway about Kyle I-

"you know his got such a chiseled jawline and his eyes there not like a heavy brown, you know ?, there like a soft hazelnut brown, the type of hazelnuts you would put in Nuttella and well everyone loves Nuttella!"

By now my patience has run out and I feel like shouting
"KAYLA!, I LIKE KYLE, AND NOT IN A FRIEND WAY, AND TO BE HONEST I HAD HIM FIRST HE INTRODUCED HIMSELF TO ME FIRST SO JUST,JUST, BACK-OFF!"

There's a silence on the phone and i can tell I've hurt Kayla , I don't often shout only when I'm really mad or annoyed and Kayla know's that

A wave of guilt suddenly pours over me and I feel so bad

"Kayla ?, I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt yo-"

She hung up, SHE HUNG UP, now the guilt becomes a 15 meter pool which I'm currently drowning in

That evening I can't sleep, I toss and turn and then end up crying , me and Kayla have never had an argument and I don't know how to resolve it.

I check my phone for messages which turns out i have 4, the first one is from my mom asking me to buy some more milk and bread , the second is from my gran asking me about the wifi and internet again and the last two are from...... Kyle

Kyle is probably the last person I want to talk to right now but I'll read the messages anyway ,the first one says 'meet me tomorrow on the boardwalk at 7pm' and the text is then followed by 'Bring Kayla'

I text him back saying I'm busy with my family tomorrow and can't make it , I don't say anything about Kayla now, it's too embarrassing.

I turn my phone off, roll over and fall effortlessly asleep.