Cast A Shadow - Chapter One

Chapter One

                    Light radiated from the various signs that lit up the whole city.  The light was straining to fill the darkness that still lingered- it was night after all.  And it was going to be a good one.  Tonight, all I was here to do was have some fun.  I sauntered down the street and into the best casino I'd come across yet.  I spent a good ten thousand to start, and made over twice that.  These games were rigged, and I knew every little loophole there was to winning.  I played slot machines, poker, blackjack, and anything and everything else I could find to start with.  After an hour or so I strode to the bar.  The bar was gold-plated (though it wasn’t real gold) with alternating black and red stools.  Some people sat alone with glasses of beer mostly, and some were in couples, drinking shots and giggling like idiots; they were so drunk.  I took a seat where I wasn't next to anyone and the bartender hurried over. 

                    “What can I get you tonight, ma’am?”

                    “Mmm....” I looked at the choices for a moment. “Strongest thing you've got is good.” 

                    He looked at me skeptically, then spoke slowly, “Sure thing, ma'am...”  I shot him a smile and waited, trying to remember the name of the song that blasted throughout the place.

Glitter on the wet streets

Silver over everything

The river's all wet

You're all chrome

Dripping with alchemy

Shiver stop shivering

The glitter's all wet

You're all chrome

The men cry out, the girls cry out

The men cry out,

Oh no

                    “What song...?” I thought aloud.

                    “Heads Will Roll.”  The answer cane from beside me, and I swiveled on my bar stool to see who it came from.  He had ruffled, dark hair, pale but lightly tanned skin, and perfect straight, white teeth.  Then I couldn't help but notice his long, pale neck... “By the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.”

                    “Oh.  Right.”  A bartender came over to take his order too.

                    “Whatever she ordered.” He motioned to me with a nod. The waiter left and I turned to face the man again.  He was young, maybe 21 at most.  I let my eyes trail and examine his figure, but I always returned to his neck... Thankfully the drinks came.

                    “I thought you might like this,” The waiter set down a small glass in front of me, a clear liquid rippled through it.  “It's one of our stronger liquors... is that okay?”

                    “Fine.” I smiled and nodded, carefully removing the straw that came in it.  He set an identical glass in front of the guy, who moved over one seat so he was sitting next to me.  I clenched my teeth and looked down.  I couldn't lose control here- or anywhere with people- not again.  I lifted the crystal glass to my red-stained lips and downed it as fast as I could.  I could already feel it easing me up, slightly satiating my thirst.  I'd be good for now.