Chapter 6: Realization

After we met Jason, we traveled through Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa, which was super boring and uneventful, and are now in Nebraska.

"Are we there yet?" Craig asked

"No, Craig. We're in Nebraska. About 4 states away." Lylla said slowly. She was lying on the small couch in the trailer with Trevor on her lap. Jason was driving and Wilson, Liz, Amanda and I were playing Uno while Craig fiddled with a swiss army knife.

"Haha, pick up four!!! Oh and the color is now red!" I said excitedly. "And Uno!!"

"Not fair. We never played this game at home!" Liz whined.

"Hey Craig, whatcha doin'?" Amanda asked happily. She just picked up a wild card.

"Oh, you know, just trying to figure this thing out." He said grumpily. Amanda leaned over and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek. A smile suddenly became plastered on his face.

"EW!!!" Liz, Wilson, Lylla and I said in unison. Trevor howled.

We arrived in Colorado 4 hours later and then in Utah 6 hours later. That's when we started to see people again and Amanda and Jason switched driving duty. I couldn't really drive because I didn't know the rules of the road, and there were a lot of people and police officers and Amanda and Jason were the only ones who actually brought their driving license.

"Do you think all of these people are from the east? Because you know, the news anchor told everyone to leave the country and stuff, and so I guess since the airports in the east are now abandoned-" Jason started.

"Everyone tried driving west! The people from the east took longer to get here because it's a longer drive!" I interrupted Jason excitedly."

"Yeah. So now, I guess we're some of the last people to arrive." Wilson said darkly.

"We have to get to the airport. Now." Liz said slowly.

I ran to the front of the trailer and banged on the window.

"AMANDA!! GET TO THE AIRPORT!! FAST!" I screamed.

She gave a thumbs up and in seconds I was on my butt because of how fast she was moving. I crawled to the armchair and climbed onto it. Next stop, the airport.