You're On My List

I lifted the small basket from the stack that sat on the floor just inside the grocery store's doors, setting off for the produce section ahead of me. I had a short list of items that I needed to pick up before I could head home. I had been running errands all day, and had a trunk full of groceries waiting for me in the parking lot, so full that I wasn't even sure if I could fit much more in it. I shuffled through the aisle, occasionally stopping to pick up the next item on my list. With only a few things left to grab, I passed by a small table with a shaggy looking man standing behind it. I lowered my head, hoping he wouldn't stop me, but that's exactly what happened.

"Excuse me, miss?" He called out, grabbing my attention. I redirected myself toward the table, stopping just in front of it. The man behind it was tall, much taller than myself, with dark brown hair that curled around his hair and just brushed his shoulders. He had a scruffy beard that matched his hair, slight hints of gray shining as the light hit him.

"Can I help you?" I asked, eyeing him carefully. I noticed the free cheese samples on the table in front of me, and tentatively grabbed one, plucking it off the toothpick with my teeth. The employee watched me intently, seemingly memorizing my every move. I shuddered at the intense look he was giving me, watching him with an equally hawk like stare. This seemed to stun him from his trance, leaving him blubbering and pawing through the binder he held in his hand.

"Now, I-uh- I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions," He managed to blurt, leaving him looking awkward and clueless.

I shrugged, trying to act casual, though on the inside I was cracking up at the man fumbling before me. "Go ahead," I answered, gesturing toward the binder.

He looked down at it, "How often do you use cheese in a typical week?" The question was bland enough to where I had no second guesses about this man.

"One or two times a week, I guess," I shrugged, contemplating whether or not I should take another piece. I looked up when I heard him hiss through his teeth, seeing him cringe at the binder in front of him. I tried to peek over the edge of the binder, but I could only make out some blurry words and a company logo.

"Uh, geez, I'm so sorry about this," He mumbled, massaging his temples as if fighting away a headache. "Um, so uh, your face, my face, let's make this happen?" He asked, clearly looking uncomfortable as he did so. I nearly choked on the piece of cheese I had snatched while he was fumbling around, grabbing at my throat as if it would help the piece go down. Once I regained my composure and assured that the cheese had gone down, I looked at him, raising my eyebrow as if to question how serious he was. He looked at me desperately, then looking somewhere past me, as if looking into a hidden camera. I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose and laughing softly.

"Life's too short to say no, I guess?" I shrugged, not very confident in my answer. His eyes darted back to me, looking a little more than ecstatic. He chuckled softly, leaning across the table, gesturing for me to do the same. I followed his lead, leaning over and pressing my lips gently against his. We stayed like this for a moment, neither of us willing to break away. Something seemed to startle the man, causing him to jump and pull away from me. He watched me for another moment, his dark eyes seeming to swallow every bit of light around him. I stared at him, trying to find my composure, but failing.

We must have looked pitiful, standing there just watching each other silently. He slowly extended his hand, which I nervously took.

"Brian," He said, his voice just above a whisper.

"Addie," I responded, pulling away to dig a piece of paper and a pen out from my purse. I scribbled down my phone number, setting it down near his hand. I walked away, turning back just in time to see him pick it up and glance at it. It read:

You leave me breathless.