chapter one

"Jace, get over here!" Alec called from behind the bar, clearly frazzled from having to serve so many people. The blonde known as Jace returned to the bar after he left to go to the bathroom, kissing Alec's cheek.
Alec scoffed and shoved Jace back, "enough, Jace. You're handling these people." Alec patted his shoulder and walked off to a calmer side of the bar.

Alexander Lightwood, a bartender at a well known club. He was one of the favorites, for some reason.
Alec just cared a lot about his job. He actually worked. He was probably the only one who did.

He handed a guy a beer before turning to get another drink. Okay, yes, sometimes the job stressed him, but he did like the job. The pay was good, he had a few friends - okay, not many. Basically he had Jace. That was kind of all.

"Did you hear, Alec? We're getting a new guy on the job tomorrow," Jace called to him. Of course Alec knew. He always had full attention on situations, and basically everything. "I've got nothing to worry about, I'm the only one here who actually works!" Alec called back.
He saw Jace roll his eyes, but it was true.

Alec returned home that night at about three in the morning, exhausted. His sister Isabelle was asleep on the couch, but she awoke when she heard the door close. "Alec? Is that you?" Isabelle sat up, seeing her brother. "Yeah, it's me," Alec set his bag down. "You're home really late. Mom and dad were worried-"
"Yeah, sure," Alec made a noise under his breath, clearly not buying that his parents were worried. He never had the best relationship with them. Alec was more close with his mother, Maryse. His father Robert? Not so much. The two of them kept quiet.

"Alec," Isabelle stood and walked over, grabbing his arm. "Okay, mom was worried." She said.
Alec nodded, not looking phased, "at least you're honest." He yanked his arm away and walked upstairs to his room. Alec, in a way, was always like this. Not the happiest and brightest person. He kind of had a mood.
He was stubborn, too.

"Alec!" Isabelle called, sighing. "I'm going to sleep, Izzy!" He yelled to her from upstairs.

"Go to bed!" The two siblings heard their mother yelled. Alec huffed and kicked his door shut. Isabelle was just confused as to what Alec was so mad about, but then she would remember, he was always like that.

The next afternoon, Alec was hanging out with Jace, and Jace's girlfriend Clary at a cafe. Jace and Alec didn't have to start working till later that night when the club actually opened.
"New worker today, Alec," Jace said, looking amused. He knew it would bother Alec.

Alec shot him a glare, slamming his fist down on the table. Clary gasped and jumped.

Alec sighed and calmed down, trying to keep his voice calm, as well. "I'm not worried, Jace."

Jace shook his head, smirking, "I never said you were. Therefor, you are worried." Alec continued to glare at Jace. "I know I'm the only one who actually works. I have nothing to worry about."

Jace shrugged, "you don't know that. This new guy could be good. Maybe even better."

Alec picked up a fork and said quickly, "Jace, I am this close to throwing this right in your eye-" Clary reached forward and grabbed the fork from Alec, putting it down, "Alec, calm down." She demanded.
Alec sighed and leaned back in the booth.
"He's got the attitude of a teenage girl," Jace said with a laugh. Alec mimicked his words, shaking his head.
Clary decided to fix the issue. "Okay, boys, so, how have we all been lately?" She smiled.
"Just fine." Alec said blandly. Jace had an arm around her, "I'm great." Jace smiled.

Alec even mimicked that.

Night fell. The club had opened, and Jace and Alec were working at the bar.
"Where do you think he is?" Alec murmured to Jace, working next to him. Jace looked around, and then back at Alec, "I have no sign of anyone new yet." Jace responded.

Alec nodded, "alright. It's his first day and he's late. That's not good. Well, for me it is. Because I'm still the most hard worker."
Jace gave him a weird look.

Alec paused and looked at him. "What?"

Jace shook his head and looked around again, "we'll keep looking later. Someone new has to show up."

Alec was barely paying attention to his job at this point. He was just waiting and watching for this new guy. Alec wanted to be the best. He liked the glorifying attention he got, because it was nice. He never got that.

Alec was filling up a beer, when Jace nudged him so hard, that Alec dropped the beer.
"Shit! I'll get you a new one," Alec told the man who ordered one. Alec glared at Jace and walked to get a new beer, "what do you want, Jace?" Alec snapped.
He handed the beer to the man. Then, Alec took the money. "He's here." Jace whispered to him.
Alec whipped around. From across the bar, he caught side of a male. The newbie was actually watching him already.
Alec and the guy held a glance for a few minutes, before Alec broke it and looked down quickly, turning back around to look at Jace.
Jace looked shocked, "Alec, he was so mind fucking you-"
Alec gasped and whacked his arm.
Jace yelped and rubbed his arm, "what was that for?!"
Alec sighed, "he wasn't doing that. He was watching me probably because he doesn't like me already." Jace shrugged, "how could he not like you already? You didn't even meet."

"Maybe he's heard that I'm the best?" Alec asked. Jace rolled his eyes, "you're crazy, Alec. Leave it alone."
Alec huffed and walked away from Jace.

Jace decided to greet the new guy. He walked over to him, tapping his shoulder. "Hey, you're the new guy, right? I'm Jace. I work here too. What's your name?"

The male turned around and looked up at Jace, smiling, "I'm Magnus. Yeah, I'm new."
Jace nodded, "how do you think you're doing?"
Magnus shrugged, "I haven't messed up yet, so hopefully I'm doing okay," Magnus laughed slightly.
Jace nodded and laughed as well. "You know who'd you really get along with? My friend Alec over there. Problem is, he's the best on the job. Quite literally. And he knows it." The two boys were now staring at Alec, who was working hard to give people their drinks.
Magnus shook his head and looked over at Jace, "hell no. He seems like a bitch."

Jace's smile faded. "Woah, what? He's not- well, maybe, but-"

Magnus shook his head. "I've been watching him. He knows he's the best, I'm kind of nervous to talk to him. I'm the new guy. He'd give me an attitude anyway."

Jace shook his head, "no! No, he's fine. You two would be great. My buddy Alec doesn't have too many friends, Magnus. Maybe he could use one more, you know?"

Magnus froze, as if thinking. He sighed and set a beer down, "okay. Fine." And he walked over.
"Yes!" Jace whispered and grinned, watching.

Alec turned around to grab another person's drink, bumping in to a shorter Magnus.
Shit.
"Shit, I'm sorry-"
Alec's apology was interrupted by Magnus.
"Watch where you're going next time, asshole," Magnus lectured, shoving past Alec, harshly bumping shoulders with him. Alec stood there in shock, mostly confused.
Jace gave Alec a look from across the bar, and Alec motioned him over. He quickly handed the guy his drink and took the money, hurrying over to Jace.
"He just-"
"What did he say?" Jace questioned. "Did you hit it off?"
Alec shook his head, "he told me to watch where I'm going, and then he called me an asshole."
Jace looked as confused as Alec was. "He what? That didn't seem like something he would've said back when I talked to him.."
"Well he did, Jace. We have to watch out for him, Jace. We've worked with many bitches on this job before." Alec walked away from him.