Chapter 5

"What the hell were you two thinking bringing someone like her onto my territory?" Carmichael paced back and forth across the small hallway leading into the infirmary. His voice rang loud and clear through the packed west wing. The waiting room was filled with warriors awaiting Jordan's condition. The hallway was just as packed.

"Well, what did you expect. We had no other choice, you-"

"Shut up Samantha. You've done enough damage. You and that idiot husband of yours have fucked everything to kingdom come."

Carmichael stopped in front of Samantha. He glared fiercely at the one set of eyes that has ever managed to make him this infuriated, besides her husband. Over the last fifteen years he's never once stopped thinking about the little brat. How could he not, that stupid wife of his soul bonded them so the little thing could live. No one thought after Drakos's attack that she would survive. At the time he was doing it as a favor to his friend, but things were different now. Times have changed. For instance, he no longer had a wife.

Bringing Jordan back meant there were no more excuses not to replace Erika. Erika is dead, Jordan is alive;we're already bonded. The pack already see her as alpha claimed.

Alexander scoffed. He never really liked Carmichael after he soul bonded to his daughter, but he learned to trust his authority and protection for the students. That's why he hired him as the schools protection detail. "Yeah, it's our fault that you nearly took our daughters head off".

"You're dam right it is!" Vladimir Carmichael was officially shouting. His short fuse had blown and he could already feel the shift coming.

But, as the three adults kept up with their shouting match, one confused teenaged girl woke up in the infirmary.
***********************************

Jordan

I gasped as my hands shot to my throat. I continued gasping for the dusty air as I rolled to my side and squinted towards the shining light. I forcefully kept my eyes open as bright beams continued to shoot from the open window on my left.
After a minute of continuous blinking, my eyes adjusted.

"It's your fault for allowing The Five to get that close to her."

"That's just rich! You're her father, what have you done on your end to protect her?"

For a moment there was heavy silence. Then, I could faintly hear the tapping of feet on the other side of the room.

I tried to turn. I tried to will my body to turn again, but besides my sore throat and throbbing head, my body was numb.

I couldn't even feel my fingers.
My hands slowly raised to my face, clenching in my palm. My breathing increased as I felt like my lungs were filled with water.

Everything is happening so fast. I don't understand. I try not to focus on the tapping, but I don't have to.

It stopped. My hands were still clenched in front of my face, I could still hear the arguing outside, and I can't remember how I got here.

I just felt like I had a hangover when I woke up. Now, I feel panicked...

*********************************************
Outside Infirmary

Carmichael

We were getting nowhere. This situation is getting worse. That girl shouldn't even be here. This was not part of the treaty I made with Alexander. It's the exact opposite.

Samantha and that daughter of hers were never to set foot on this land. Her kind isn't welcome. My pack may have claimed her, but I didn't.

No banshee or fae is ever welcomed, not unless I approve.