One

Val Rossini wished he could marry his company and make it his lifetime partner. It would make life so much easier but the thought was insane.

He soon realized women don't stick around once they figured out he was addicted to his job. Loneliness was the price he took after risking Rossini Capital Management into the big league of the business world.

"Once again, you have saved me, Mrs. Lewitt" Val gave her assistant a grateful smile and leaned back in his chair. A big sigh came out from him as his mac book refuses to connect to the printer and a serious life-threatening document had been delayed for printing. Good thing, Mrs. Lewitt had been of a big help and the signed hard copies is now officially in his hands.

"I'd hardly call printing an offer to save your life," Mrs. Lewitt glanced at him then to her watch in an intentional manner to point out the time. "It's already past five and it's Friday. You should at least take a rest. It's been a whole week of stress for you and you should go out there and have some fun. Take Lexie out. I heard there's this new bistro in Central park and let me handle the proposal. It'll be good for you."

Val frowned as a hint of regret grew and faded.

"I can't," as he began checking the hard copies in his hands.

Mrs. Lewitt shrugged and placed her hands on her hips, emancipated an act of motherhood, Val glanced up and saw her gesture. "Lexie and I didn't work, we split up. She's already seeing someone else."

He thought about Lexie for a moment, and how things got complicated between them. Hopefully, the new relationship she got into now would make her happy and content. She deserved someone who could give her his full attention and affection. Though, Val regretted not being that someone for Lexie, but it would be unfair to let Lexie keep hoping and waiting he'd be that man who is capable of committing into a serious relationship. As a result, he ended up alone and lonely, once again.

Mrs. Lewitt sighed and crossed her arms, "I knew she would've ended it, she couldn't handle a one-sided relationship, Val." She looked down at Val with a tsk, "Now, who are you taking to the art auction next week?"

Val hissed. He'd almost forget about the art auction next week, but it wasn't as if he could skip the auction. The New York University Arts Division has presented his name since he'd donated some of his world class paintings for the auction and the proceeds will eventually be in their chosen charities. "Aren't you free next Saturday?"

Mrs. Lewitt chuckled as if Val was cracking a joke. "Oh dear my child," she began wiping her tear ducts, "I don't want you to look desperate and still ask me to escort you in your events. If Lexie can't be that woman, then find another else that could."

Yeah, right. He had stumbled himself over a fair share of women who could like to go out with him. But then until they realized they wouldn't be satisfied with the little attention he could give. It never took very long time to reach that point.

An empty deep feeling aroused from his gut, one he'd been experiencing lately and it really bothered him a lot as time grows old. "I hate dating." And getting-to-know-each- other-phase, he wouldn't like to spend most of his time and energy on such kind of senseless activities. Rossini Capital Management is his top priority. Always.

"That's because you don't give much time and effort to get yourself out there."

And here they go again, tackling her favorite subject. Mrs. Lewitt never got tired of pointing out and scolding him about the lack of interest on keeping a woman in his life.