The Misunderstnding

CHAPTER 1

Luna blinked twice at the sunlight peering in her window. She groaned. It was another day without her older sister, Artemis. Ever since she went to Mount Olympus Academy (MOA) on Mount Olympus to train her how to be a goddess, Luna spent lonely nights alone on her bead reading books about MOA with her baby fox, Firesun. Her sister was now immortal and she was but a mere mortal. She slowly pulled herself out of bed and brushed her long blonde hair. She got dressed in her favorite pale yellow chiton and slowly headed down the stairs. On her way to the kitchen, she passed by Artemis's room. She looked inside as she had done many times before but no matter how much she wished her sister would come home, Luna woke up every morning to see that Artemis had not returned. Even though her sister could return on any day in just minutes, she never did. Luna gave out a long sigh, the turned her back to Artemis's room to head for the kitchen.

As she entered the kitchen, her mom Hera, was making tea. Her mother was a goddess, but her dad wasn't. He dad had died over two years ago when she was just ten. As much as she missed him, her mother was company enough for her, especially since Luna was a shy girl. "There is my daughter with the beautifulest eyes in the world!" said her mother. Luna rolled her eyes but had to laugh. It was true that she had the beautifulest eyes anyone had ever seen, but they were also strange. They were a pale yellow, but looked beautiful on her. "Thanks mom, could I have some toast?" asked Luna. "Of course sweetie, anything for my daughter." said Hera, her blue eyes sparkling. When her toast was ready, Luna cut it in to squares, then put strawberry jam on them. As she was going to take her first bite, her mother said "Still no sign of Artemis?" Luna dropped her fork but quickly picked it up again. "No." she muttered, stabbing a different piece of toast and letting Firesun eat the piece on the floor. "Now honey, I know your mad at Artemis for becoming a goddess, but you either are one, or your not." said Hera.

Luna ate the pice of toast in her plate and said "But that should have been me! I have different eyes! I am a better archer! I have had better grades here down on Earth!" She grabbed her plate and stormed up to her room. The last thing she saw from her mother was her face. A face of total pity. Luna sat down on her bed, and Firesun jumped in her lap. "You know it should have been me, don't you boy." cooed Luna. She finished up her toast, and sat down at her desk to finish a drawing of Firesun. Suddenly, the light breeze from her window became stronger. The papers on her desk fluttered, and her quill fell off the desk. A scroll came through the window and settled on her desk. "A message for Luna from Mount Olympus!" the wind said. "Art thou present?" "Yes I'm Luna." she said, and the scroll unraveled itself until it lay flat on her desk. Thinking it was from Artemis, she peered at the scroll and began to read:

Dear Luna,

This may come as a shock to you, but maybe not. There was a mix up when my secretary was inviting all the goddessgirls and godboys a few years after your sister Artemis attended my school. Your were meant to go too, but somehow only your sister was registered on time. I apologize and me, Zeus- King of the Gods and Ruler of the Heavens, invite you to come and be schooled at Mount Olympus Academy. Of you accept, you will be an immortal because you always have been, and Hermes Delivery Service will be there to pick you up tomorrow morning.

Luna let go of the breath that she hadn't realized she was holding. 'Me? A goddess? I knew it was a mistake!' she though. She ran down the stairs two at a time, with the scroll clutched tightly in her hand. "Mother! Mother!" she cried out. "What is it dear is something wrong?" asked Hera. "No mom, everything is right again!" said Luna, showing her mother the scroll. Her mother skimmed over it, then flung her arms around her daughter. "See I told you! I am so proud of you!" said Hera. "This is for you." she added and she handed Luna a box. "I was going to give it to your for your birthday, but I think now is a better time." Luna carefully pried open the wrapping, to find a necklace with a pendant of a wolf made of moonstone, hanging from the chain. "Thanks mom!" said Luna as she ran back up to her room and took out her books. She read everything she could until she fell asleep on the pile of books.

{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

The next day...

Luna awoke with a start. As the memories from the other night came back to her. She jumped out of bed and raced to put on her light turquoise chiton. She quick brushed her hair, the quickly painted her nails turquoise. She packed a suitcase full of her clothes and her favorite things, and even remembered to take all of Firesun's things. She speedily put on the necklace her mother had given her then she raced down the stairs, picked up Firesun, then said goodbye to her mother. "Bye honey. I love you and I always will." said Hera. "I promise to visit!" said Luna from outside the house. Her mother nodded just as the carriage flew in. Luna pushed her things up on to the carriage, and with Firesun on her lap, they flew away.

The ride was short but Luna got a magnificent view of orchards and fields. In no time they were at Mount Olympus Academy. It was built out of polished white stone and was five stories tall. Below her, students were rushing around trying to get to their next class. When they landed, Luna quickly grabbed her bags and hopped out of the carriage. Firesun leaped to the ground and fell behind her as she walked up the granite steps leading to the school. As she walked in, Luna immediately spotted the room marked OFFICE. Just outside of it was a water fountain. As she took a little drink of it, she discovered it wasn't water, but some kind of sweet juice she had never tasted before. It was so good that she took a second drink. Suddenly her hand started to shimmer, and her other hand! And her arms and legs too! Her skin had begun to shimmer-just like a real goddess!