Part 19

Nineteen

Fresh towels, fresh linen, fresh milk, replacing the plundered contents of the refrigerator...Audra hummed to herself as she worked, wanting to make sure Maxima glowed like the pearl it was for Jay's VIP guests. Foreign VIPs gave tips, which were an always welcome addition to her income, and if she could get one or more of them to put in a good word for her with Annette, she'd be one step closer to the off-season position.

And perhaps Jay would conveniently forget that she'd fallen asleep in his house.

She set off the robotic vacuum cleaner in Maxima and headed to Albina to prepare it for tomorrow's guests. Albina had been booked for an executive retreat, she found, so she had to contact Engineering and IT to make sure they provided a long list of computer and communications requirements for the visiting executives.

Once the men started plugging in cables, talking about bandwidth and racks and some new game that had just been released, Audra escaped back to Maxima. One robot replaced another as she set off the one that mopped, listening out for the rotor blades of Jay's returning helicopter. Who would he bring? Other celebrities? Or the rest of the band, perhaps?

What if he brought the guitarist girl he wanted to win?

He'd rejected romance books and rubbished any suggestions she'd made, so Audra doubted the relationship between the two would change unless he did.

Though if he had a little help...

She contacted Catering and asked for a honeymoon supper package, delivered cold to the villa to be prepared at the right moment. Audra stuck the champagne in the fridge, alongside the tray of chocolate fondue, complete with instructions on how to heat the chocolate. The strawberries looked so perfect, Audra felt hard-pressed not to steal one, but she wasn't the one Jay would be romancing, so she closed the door firmly on temptation.

She took the rose petal bath mixture and massage oil to the bathroom, then changed her mind and left the oil in the master bedroom instead, adding it to the innocuous-looking, heart-shaped box of condoms and flavoured lubes.

Audra finished the romantic atmosphere with the addition of mood lighting – every battery-operated tealight she could gather, lined up along the edge of the spa, the flat surfaces in the bedroom and even on the lounge room coffee table. Pleased at her handiwork, she resolved to return at sunset to turn the little lights on.

For a moment, she wished a man would romance her half as well as she was helping Jay do for his mysterious woman. Audra hoped the girl appreciated it as much as she would.