Chapter One: Ophelia and the Monster [UPDATED]

It was late. Ophelia had just left the hospital where she was doing her residency. She was walking into her apartment when she realized someone was behind her. She wanted to run but stood frozen in fear. She already knew who it was deep inside. 

She wondered how long he knew where she was and how much he knew. She just needed one more day. She was ready to do what she already knew would be the solution to her problems. 

Before she do anything, a chlorophyll-soaked rag covered her mouth. She tried not to breath, but eventually her body failed her and she passed out. 

... 

She woke up in a dark room. She tried to look around and find any clue as to where she was.

A voice that sent shivers down her spine called out to her. 

"Hello, my love", he said, with a sinister smile.

'How did he find me?', Ophelia thought to herself. 

Then he walked in. He eyed her like a predator stares down its prey. He always looked at her like that. He once had full control over her. She was powerless to him. She vowed that he'd never get that power again. He was a monster. But that didn't matter to her. She'd slay his ass in order to be free. That's all she wanted at this point. 

"H-how did you f-find me?", Ophelia barely whispered.

"What make you think that I ever lost you, beautiful ?", he said, touching her face. She was like his little toy. He had plans to keep her locked away forever. She was his princess, his Rapunzel, and he'd lock her in a tower forever if it meant that she would be his forever. He felt like he owned her and that she had no right to leave. 

She was terrified. The first few months after she ran away from him she was always looking over her shoulder. She rarely left the house unless it was work-related. It was only very recently that she just started to let her guard down. She made friends. She started to go out again. She was living a completely normal life. But she knew it wouldn't get to last long. So she started to save. She had just made enough. She was finally going to be free. He ruined that. She felt defeated. She felt done. She was so fucking over it. 

"Kill me", Ophelia calmly spoke. 

He could see it in her eyes that she meant it. They were dead. Empty. And he knew he did that to her. He knew that his love hurt her, but he really believed he could get better. He thought she could fix him. He couldn't see that all he did was break her. 

"Why would I do that, Princess? I love you", he replied. 

The sick thing was he actually did love her in his own twisted way. He thought she was the greatest thing he ever came across. In his eyes, she was his most valuable possession. What do we do with the things that are valuable to us? We lock them away. The thing is, he could never handle Ophelia's fire. Ophelia was never one for being controlled and his sick to need to do so kept pushing them apart. The more distance that grew between them the more he kept forcing her closer. The love he once showered her with became abuse. She didn't know what to do anymore. She ran away. But he found her. He always finds her. 

She looked at his face. All she saw was a monster. She wanted to puke knowing that he actually believed himself when he said that he loved her. She'd rather die than be with him again. She knew that if he got her back to that house then everything that she'd been working for would be for nothing. She'd never be free. What's a life without freedom? Ophelia could never go back to that. 

"They only way I'm getting out of this relationship is if I'm dead. You told me that. I made my choice. Being dead is better than being with you. SO. FUCKING. KILL. ME", she shouted.

It was a rare moment of courage. She usually could never yell at him. She knew what followed. Any form of disrespect, it resulted in a beating. It was one of his many rules. He always said. 

Princesses have rules. They behave with class. You are my princess and you will represent this kingdom with the upmost poise. Or else. Consequences, baby. 

He slapped her so hard her jaw shook. She fell to the ground but didn't move. Fighting him back was pointless. He had more than a foot on her, and at least a hundred pounds of pure muscle. Plus, it would only just make him angrier. Ophelia already knew how this went. She was no stranger to this. 

He started to kick all over her body. 

"You ungrateful bitch", he screamed, in between kicks, "I was going to take you back, without punishment. Now I have to hurt you. You know how much I hate hurting you."

He stood her up by her hair. He kissed her roughly before throwing her against the wall. He put his hand around her throat, preventing her from breathing. He looked her straight in her icy blue eyes. He loved this girl so much. Why couldn't she just behave?

"I could kill you right now, Princess. I could take your life with my bare hands", he started, before she cut him off.

"D-Do it", was all she could spit out. He could tell she meant those words and it angered him. For a second, he actually thought about taking her life and about ending his own. She could feel how close she was to passing out. She silently begged for an escape from him. She begged for death. She was ready. Her freedom was coming. 

Just in time, he let go of her throat. She fell to the ground. her body trying desperately to breathe again. He grabbed her by her hair using it to throw her into the center of the room. She felt her skull rattle as her head hit the floor. She became dizzy. She was sure she was at the very least concussed. 

He straddled her, throwing punches to her face. She could feel the blood leaking from her nose and mouth. Her nose was surely broken. She just wished that he would kill her so it could be over. She felt herself stop fighting. She stopped defending herself. She closed her eyes, hoping death would soon take her. 

...

Ophelia woke up bloody and naked on the floor of the room. She slowly looked around, her body feeling the effects of the beating she just took. 

She saw the front door of wherever she was close. She knew that he probably went to get drunk at some bar, and afterwards he'd go get her some ultra expensive bullshit gift, to apologize for the beating. It was his routine that she was sick of being apart of. She knew she wasn't his princess. This wasn't a fairy tale. This was a horror movie. And she was either going to die or get the fuck out of this town before this monster could kill her. She needed to get out of there. 

Somehow, Ophelia found the strength to get up. It hurt like hell. She could tell that she had some broken ribs. Maybe her wrist was broken too. She couldn't tell exactly where all the pain she was feeling came from. She threw the scrubs she was wearing before back on. She checked the door in the room to see of it was unlocked. She had an internal celebration when it was, walking triumphantly out of the front door. She was going to finally do it. No more waiting and saving. 

When she got outside she looked around. She knew exactly where she was. She had about a ten to fifteen minute walk to her apartment. 

...

It took her about twenty minutes to walk to her apartment in her condition. Everyone she walked pass looked at her in horror and disgust. A few people tried to offer her help, but she ignored them. She just kept on walking, determined to get there. She was so close. 

Once she got there, she knew exactly what she had to do. She limped to the safe in her bedroom closet. She opened it grabbing the contents: her .38, about 5,000 dollars, and the keys to the truck she never drove. She grabbed her empty duffle bag from the bottom of her closet, filling it with clothes, shoes, and all of her important papers. She left her apartment, locking it behind her. She walked to the parking garage across the street where her truck had been parked since she moved into the apartment. She got in, and drove off hoping to leave that awful life behind.

She knew exactly where she was going. She never thought that this would happen. She'd finally gotten the freedom she wanted, the life she wanted, but it all went to hell when she met him. Now she had no choice.

She was going back home.

To Charming,

the life she thought she wanted to leave behind.