Chapter 1

The sun spilled through my curtains, rousing me from my sleep. Not that I had anything particularly special to do today. I worked rather quickly yesterday and was able to finish my chores for the rest of the week.
Luna Eleanor says I work too hard. Which is probably true. I guess I could see what she is up to.

With that thought I get up and shower, preparing myself for the day. I wander down to the kitchen figuring that Luna Eleanor will be there. I find her humming to some tune on the radio while mixing pancake batter.

"Good morning Adelaide! How did you sleep," she perkily asks. I'll never understand morning people.

"Fine Luna. And you?"

"Oh pish posh! I told you Luna is far to formal. I wish you would call me Eleanor or Ellie or mom," she exclaimed. She has hinted several times that she wants me to think of her as another parent.

"Eleanor it is then."

"Leave it to you to choose the most boring of them all," she chides with a roll of her eyes. Luna is so playful and is great company especially when considering my other options. The girls my age are completely outrageous, wearing tight shirts and mini skirts, going on about shopping and boys. I just have trouble relating to them. When they would go shopping I would stay home and play football with the guys. I'd take wrestling in the mud over mani pedis any day.

"Can I help you with anything?"

"Oh no dear! I'm just making some breakfast. Sit, sit. Pancakes will be right up," Lu-I mean Eleanor shoos me towards the breakfast bar where I sit and watch her serve up pancakes for the two of us.

"So Adelaide do you find any of the pack boys attractive?"

I choke on the pancake I had just put in my mouth and chug some milk from my glass.

"I'm sorry?"

"Why Adelaide you're nineteen, old enough to find your mate. You were at the mating ceremony last year when you turned eighteen right?"

Every wolf can find their mate when they turn eighteen and most find theirs at the mating ceremony where all the wolves who turned eighteen that year from the pack try to find their mates.

"It's a shame my son couldn't go he turned eighteen last year too."

"Yeah it is a shame. He deserves a mate."

Beau was always a good kid. Friendly to everyone, caring and such. We were never super close but I knew him well enough to respect him.

"Anyways as you wait for your mate has anyone else caught your fancy?"

I blushed. Not because I was interested in anyone but at the prospect of having this conversation with her.

"No."

"I hear Jason Arribs had taken an interest in you."

I roll my eyes at that. Jason has liked me since the first grade but I've never considered going out with him. He's handsome enough but we have nothing in common.

"Still? That boy needs to get laid."

Eleanor giggles at that. I swear she's more of a teenager than I am.

"You're right about that. But he's been following you around like a sick puppy for eons. Can't you indulge him just once? One date wouldn't kill you."

I sighed. She's kind of right but what about my mate? Jason certainly isn't him.

"You're not making any commitment to him just going out and hanging out with some people your own age. Goddess knows you need to."

I was slightly offended but she had a point.

"I suppose you're right. Do you know where he might be?"

She smiled and said, "Probably on the training field."

I picked up our dishes and brought them over to the sink and rinsed them off before loading them in the dishwasher. I was about to start on the other dishes sitting out before Eleanor stepped in.

"Off you go dearie. Don't keep him waiting I'll handle these," she said while pushing me away from the sink and towards the door.

I wandered out of the Pack House towards the training field where many of the Border Patrol were training. Besides, of course the wolves on Border Patrol right now.

In a cluster of guys my age I saw Jason laughing at some joke someone made. He really was cute at 5'10" with blonde buzzed hair and a muscular body thanks to the constant training.

I continued to walk closer when Dillon looked up and noticed me. Dillon is the future Beta and is also really sweet and cute. Yet Dillon is the only pack member I'm close to that's my age. He used to hang out all the time until Beta training started and kept him busy but we still see each other every once in a while.

"Hey short stuff?! How you been,"
Dillon yells my way. I scowl. I'm not that short. I'm like 5'4" with auburn hair that falls to my waist.

Dillon's yelling catches the attention of the rest of the guys in their group and I suddenly become the center of attention.

"I'm not that short. It's not my fault you guys are like frickin' giants."

They laugh at me and I continue to scowl.

"Anyways I didn't come here to be insulted. Jason I wanted to talk to you for a moment."

A chorus of ohs were let out from the boys as well as a couple of whistles and pats on the back. Jason just laughed it of and followed me towards the trees lining the field where we could hopefully have a little privacy.

"What's up Adelaide?"

"Well you know how you've asked me out a couple times and I've turned you down," he nods. "Well I was wondering if you still wanted to go out with me."

He stood still for a little while and then broke out into a wide grin.

"Of course! How's today around 7?"

"Seven works for me."

"Awesome, I'll see you then!"

I walk away but turn back planning to ask him something but stop once I see he's doing an embarrassing happy dance. I decide to leave him be and walk back to the pack house.