Eve didn't seem startled that she was called into the police station in the middle of the night. She was more concerned with feeding herself. I almost teared up seeing her hungry hippo side as she tried anything to get her hands on the taco the policeman had in his hands.

            Patrick placed his hands against her stomach, gently pushing her towards him and away from the window. "We're here because we got a phone call about Nora Montgomery."

            A cool gust of wind blew into the room as the entrance door swung open and Mrs. Collins strutted through the room looking high and mighty. Her icy eyes skimmed across the room and she scowled at her surroundings in disgust. Then she spotted us and I swear her death glare was enough to make me spontaneously drop dead. Her lips pursed and her work heels clicked against the floor as she marched her way over.

            "Do you know how embarrassed I was when I received a phone call in the middle of an extremely important conference telling me that my son had gotten into an argument and was now locked up at the police department?" Her tone was as sharp and cold as icicles; every word slicing through painfully.

            Ryder lifted a shoulder in nonchalance and kept his voice level as he replied, "I regret nothing."

            Mrs. Collins shot her son a look of disapproval and then tossed me one as well. She didn't say anything to me though. I guess she didn't want to start conflict with someone who wasn't her own flesh and blood right in the middle of a police station. But I knew exactly what her thoughts were: it was all my fault.

             And I couldn't agree more. It was my fault. The only reason Ryder and Caine had gotten into those fights was because of me. Because I had gotten involved with the wrong guy and they were trying to protect me. This burden of heavy truth hung on my shoulders and suffocated me. I felt my stomach drop and my heart sink when the realisation sunk.

            Mrs. Wright turned up at that moment, her husband trailing behind. Unlike Mrs. Collins who had greeted her son with dripping venom, she wrapped her arms around her child and held him close, muttering about how worried she was and how happy she was to see that he was okay. Caine, like any gruff teenage guy, tried to awkwardly pry her off, but I could see the affection in his eyes. If we weren't all handcuffed together, I knew he would have hugged her back, in one of those quick, secretive moments.

            I felt really awkward. Between Mrs. Collins' hate and Mrs. Wright's warmth, I just stood in the middle of this seriously emotional reunion. I wasn't sure where to look or what to do. I tried avoiding Ryder's mum and I didn't think she'd approve if I looked at her son. I couldn't just stare at Mrs. Wright either, especially when she was in this really compassionate state. I really didn't want to intrude on their moment. Staring at my hands wasn't an option either since I was still handcuffed on each wrist to the boys.

Craning my neck and stretching up on my toes, I tried searching for my family. Patrick must have noticed the commotion because he turned from Eve and caught my eye. I saw relief wash over his tired features and he gave me a weak smile, took his girlfriend's hand in his and gently steered her away from her taco negotiation.

"Nora!" Eve grinned at me and basically skipped towards me. Well, as close to skipping as you can get when you're pregnant.

She let go of Patrick's hand and squeezed through the two other families, embracing me in a weird kind of way. It was hard hugging her when there was a giant ball in between. I was surprised to see her so cheerful, especially considering I was at a police station in the middle of the night. I supposed it was her weird pregnancy emotions. Realisation would probably sink in by morning.

"We've been so worried about you," Patrick said, reaching over to place his hand on my shoulder. Genuine concern was all over his face.

Eve on the other hand... looked kind of happy. She held me at arm's length and grinned at me with pride. "Your first encounter with the law," she said, sniffling. "You are so ready for university."

This just left me speechless. She was... proud of me. "You're not going to tell Mum, right?"

I eyed her carefully. I wasn't sure if this was an act or if she was truly delighted with me having to go to the police department. Keeping a cautious gaze on my sister, I wondered if she'd suddenly turn ape on me and give me a lecture. But she didn't. She just dismissed my question and went on about this 'one time' in college.

It was weird how all three of our families acted differently. Caine's parents seemed happy and relieved, smothering their child with affection. Ryder's mother looked like she was ready to kill someone with her famous death stare. Then there was me, with my sister and her boyfriend. Whilst Patrick reacted normally to this situation with worry and concern, Eve totally topped the weirdness cake with her honoured response.

Officer Brandy, looking just as startled as I felt, walked over and unlocked the handcuffs chaining Caine and I together. It felt good to have my left wrist breathe again and I shook it, reviving some life into it.

"You kids are allowed to go home, but you do understand that you are going to have to be punished," he said gruffly. "Nothing serious, considering no permanent or serious damage was done. Just ten hours of community service to complete, but if I see you starting fights around town again, the consequences will be severe."

"We were intimidated!" Caine burst out. "It was personal defence."

"Look, kid, we have no real evidence of who started what. So we're just going to be putting all five of you on community service."

Caine didn't look completely satisfied but I think the thought of Chris and his mate getting punished as well helped tame him a little. After a few more finalisations, we were finally released from the police station around two in the morning. We were all tired and silent by the time we walked out.

As we stepped outside in the night air, I gently touched Caine's arm. It was a timid gesture. I just kind of poked him and quickly repelled like his arm was going to grow fingers and slap me. He turned and faced me, looking beaten and sleepy. His parents headed for their car across the lot but he lingered behind.

"Thanks... for defending me and stuff," I said in a rush. "I mean, Chris was my business and you didn't have to get involved-"

I stopped because Caine had suddenly gotten hold of my hand. He held it in his, warm fingers wrapping around mine and he smiled at me sleepily. "Don't mention it."

He brought my hand to his lips and gently kissed it. I just stared at him. Even when he was beaten up and exhausted, he still was the regular Caine Wright who could charm the ladies with a single smile. His eyes sparkled as he gave me a grin, let go of my hand and raised his hand in one of those half guy-waves.

"Farewell, fair maiden." He winked and with that, he was off.

I looked up at Ryder, in a total what the hell kind of way. He was still watching Caine walk away, expression thoughtful. I sighed and tugged him along. I think the effects of alcohol and fatigue were finally taking its toll on Caine, to a point where he didn't understand his motives or actions.

Once inside the car, we were silent. The heater was running, Eve was quietly munching on her chocolate bar and Patrick concentrated on driving and not falling asleep at the wheel. My eyes had gotten heavy and I knew I was close to passing out. The day's events had exhausted me and rest seemed like the most heavenly thing in the world.

Before I knew it, I was resting against Ryder, his arms wrapped around me, fingers gently rubbing my arms. His body was warm, his touch was comforting and the feel of his chest moving with every breath made me relax. I knew I should have gotten off, but I felt weak and I wasn't sure if it was because of tiredness or because I enjoyed the feeling of being in his embrace too much to have the strength to move. Either way, I stayed there, eyes closing completely.

I was in that hazy state between sleep and consciousness; my imagination right at the edge of my dreams, when I thought I heard him speak.

"Sweet dreams," he whispered, pressing his lips to the top of my head before I fell into a deep slumber.