Chapter 4

"Alright, everyone! Line up and we'll pick teams," Wyatt yelled once all the guests had settled on the baseball field.

"I'll be one team leader and Jus..."

"And I'll be the other," Brooklyn interjected.

"Alright. The maid of honor, Ms. Brooklyn Hathaway, will be the other team leader," Wyatt said seemingly not phased.

After a sleepless night, Brooklyn knew she should have been exhausted but the competitiveness running through her veins was like a stimulant.

"Ladies first," Wyatt said gesturing for Brooklyn to pick the first member of her team.

"Justin," she responded.

Kaydence released a slightly huffed breath, which complemented her shocked expression. 

"Sorry Kay," Brooklyn mouthed as she slowly cupped her right hand to her mouth to block most of the crowd from reading her lips. "I need a strong player to beat Wyatt, and you know you're not too good" she continued.

Kaydence rolled her eyes before crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'll take Kaydence," Wyatt stated, interrupting their convo.

After joining Wyatt's side of the field, Kaydence caught Brooklyn's eye and mouthed What happened last night? Brooklyn glanced over at Wyatt before she mouthed I'll tell you later to Kaydence.

Once the teams were formed and the batting order had been established, Brooklyn made her way to the dugout to wait for her turn to bat. As she watched the team's progress, her mind drifted back to last night's events.

When Wyatt had entered her room, Brooklyn could tell he was surprised by the invite.

"Surprised I invited you in?" she asked.

"Why did you?" he asked, slowly making his way towards her.

Brooklyn's eyebrows rose, as she looked Wyatt up and down.

"Oh, right, I almost forgot. Your rules right?" he asked. When Brooklyn didn't respond Wyatt continued. "So do you ever miss Chicago...or the people still here?"

Brooklyn raised her finger gently touching Wyatt's lips. "No questions. My rules...remember?" 

"I remember. But that doesn't mean I have to like it," Wyatt said smoothly sliding his hand behind the curve of Brooklyn's back. In one suave movement he'd flipped her onto the bed landing her head perfectly on her pillow with his body falling gently on top of hers. Before she had a chance to respond, Wyatt's mouth had engulfed hers in one long passionate kiss. When her mouth went from rigid to relaxed, he released her. Slowly bringing his hand up to the small of her neck, he lightly caressed her hair, letting her soft curls fall in and out of his fingers. By the time her eyes met his again, her body was wet with anticipation.

"Did you mean everything you said in the hallway?" Brooklyn asked, needing to know if his words were sincere. As she held his gaze, each moment that passed took a piece of her restraint and left her with a burning sensation to have him.

"Every. Last. Word," Wyatt finally answered. Her mind was working less and her body began to take over as her hands drifted down his chest to the drawstring of his jogging pants. Seconds away from satisfying her desire and giving into the seduction he was so good at, a sudden chime coming from her IPhone caused her to jump. Brooklyn hastily moved to answer her cell phone.

"You're really going to answer that now?" Wyatt said exasperated.

"Hello," Brooklyn said into the phone completely ignoring Wyatt. 

"Brooklyn, where are you?" a panicked Kaydence responded on the other end.

"Kay?" Brooklyn asked.

"Yes Kay! Who else would it be? Where are you?"

"Where am I?" Brooklyn repeated chastising herself for not looking at the caller before answering and recalling that she'd ditched her hosting assignment that night in an attempt to avoid Wyatt and leave him to deal with the guests. "I'm by the thing. You know...the big...boat thing on the pier?"

"The big boat thing? Really, Brooke? I swear you better be by some boat thing here or I'm going to kill you. Justin and I drove here. Imagine my surprise when my parents said you weren't on the bus!" Kaydence shouted.

"Yes, Mrs. Phillips?" Kaydence voice's had transformed from angry to sweet in a matter of seconds. "I'll be right there," she chirped, still talking into the receiver.

"You left me here alone with all the guests and my future in-laws!" Kaydence continued. "They're ready to have a good time and are pulling me in fifty different directions. Justin left for ice cream twenty minutes ago and never returned! And where the hell is Wyatt?" Kaydence asked unwilling to let Brooklyn get a word in.

"Yes, Mrs. Phillips I just found them," Kaydence said once again answering in a sweet tone.

"Brooklyn, you are so making this one up to me," Kaydence whispered before she disconnected the call.

Brooklyn inhaled a deep breath before glancing over at Wyatt who was still standing close by her. 

"Batter up!" Wyatt called breaking Brooklyn out of her trance.

Ugh, Wyatt! Why did he have to be the pitcher? She was sexually frustrated after kicking Wyatt out of her room last night and her mind was racing with regret.

How dare he seduce me last night with all those fake compliments? I even bet he stole my dessert last night knowing I'd have to leave to get another one and then pretended to run into me. 

Brooklyn grabbed the bat from the ground and stepped up to the plate. Tightly twisting the bat between her hands, she turned to face Wyatt as he pitched the softball.

Pop! Brooklyn ran for first base, and then decided to run for second since Kaydence was covering that base.

"Safe!" the umpire yelled as Kaydence managed to catch the ball and then poorly throw it back to Wyatt. Only then did Brooklyn notice Wyatt who was getting up from the ground with his hands cupped to his middle. He then cracked his neck and shook his hands before glancing over at Brooklyn.

"I guess last night didn't go to well, huh," Kaydence whispered into Brooklyn's ear.

"What happened?" Brooklyn asked.

"The ball I threw hit the ground and then bounced and hit Wyatt right in his private parts," Kaydence replied with a laugh.

"Oh shoot," Brooklyn said as she covered her mouth with her hand. "Well, by that seething look he's shooting your way, I think he believes you threw it," Kaydence replied still laughing.

Brooklyn's team striked out which halted her conversation with Kaydence.

"You okay, Brooklyn?" Justin asked when she had reached the dugout and took a seat.

"Not really," Brooklyn said as she ran her fingers through her hair before re-securing her ponytail. Am I going insane? He stole my dessert to seduce me? That's so preposterous, he wouldn't do that. Why am I letting him affect me like this! 

"I can't believe even after two years, he still gets to me," she paused. "Now he waltzes back into my life and we're supposed to pick up where we left off? I don't think so! Who cares if he's sexier than ever and too charming for his own good!" 

"Um, Brooklyn? Justin said cautiously. "After the game, maybe you should have a serious talk with Wyatt."

"Why the heck would I do that," Brooklyn said a little too loudly.

"Because you've just spent the last minute talking about him to yourself, or maybe you were talking to me. I'm not really sure," Justin whispered to her. "But I am sure that you both need to talk."

Brooklyn sighed heavily as she contemplated Justin's words. "Oh crap," she said aloud when it hit her that she had voiced how she felt out loud and not in her head like she'd wanted.

"Uh-huh," Justin said with a knowing smile. "I heard every word."