Chapter 4

I finally spotted Nathan in the courtyard beside the school entrance. He seemed to be really invested in looking at whatever was on his on his camera screen.

I called out his name, and he looked up.

"Hey you don't have classes till later right?"

"Right."

"Sweet. Let's get going."

He kept a tight grip on my hand as we walked towards the parking lot.  'Why is he in such a hurry?'

Before I could get in his car he turned me to face him.  He studied my face, and I was quickly becoming more self conscious.  I moved my eyes away from his intimidating ones.

Nathan began poking at my way too ticklish sides. I started laughing and pushed him back.

"Nathan! You know I'm ticklish!"

He opened up the passages door and kissed the top of my head as I got in.

"You weren't smiling, so I made you."

Condescending but cute.

~~~~
~~

We've been driving for awhile, and I guess I didn't get enough sleep because I fell asleep after 15 minutes.

When my eyes opened I saw that we were parked on the beach. Nathan wasn't in the driver seat, but I could see him out the window talking to some guy in an RV.

Nathan handed a wad of cash to the man. The man slipped something into his hand and with that they turned away. I quickly closed my eyes in an attempt to fake sleeping.

I heard his door open and close. It was silent other than his soft mumbling. I felt fingers lightly running through my hair. They moved down to my face, tracing my features with an extremely light touch.

I laughed a little and grabbed his finger. Giving it a small kiss, I looked up and met his eyes.

"I won't break if you touch me."

"You don't know that."

"Well you haven't yet."

He pulled his hand away and stared at his suddenly incredibly interesting steering wheel.

"Yeah.. Yet."

I turned my head out my window and looked at the lighthouse on the hill.

"Sometimes I wish you would stop lying to me and tell me what is wrong..."

My whole body tensed up.  'Oh fuck! Did I just say that out loud?!'  I slowly looked back to see Nathan. He looked just as shocked as I am.

His mouth just opened and closed like he wasn't sure how to respond. Before I could think of anything to say, a familiar feeling came back. When it was gone Nathan was starring at his steering wheel again.

'Holy crap.. Thank you Max!'

I gently placed my hand on his cheek. He turned towards me and placed his hand over mine.

"How are you feeling?  Everything okay?"

He sighed and leaned into my hand.

"I'm feeling calm, but only because I'm with you right now. And things..."

His gaze shifted to where the RV was sitting.

"Things will never be okay."

He looked back at me with a serious look.

"Especially if you're not around."

I got a tight feeling in my chest.

"I-I um.. I don't plan on going anywhere soon. So don't worry."