"I'm sorry," I beg, my voice breaking in horror as their skin peels off, revealing two faceless dark creatures in front of me. My hand goes over my bruised throat but I find nothing clutching me anymore.

"A sorry won't bring us back."

I watch the two shadows disappear slowly and I reach out to grab only air. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry," I keep repeating to the thin air as I wail out loud.

I wake up in cold sweat and feel something cool against my forehead. "Are you alright? You sounded like you were having a bad dream," I hear his voice asks with concern as he gives my hand a gentle squeeze, reassuring me that I have somebody by my side now. 

"When did you arrive?" I ask groggily, as I sit up in bed.

"You've been in bed with fever for two days. I stayed over to take care of you."

He prods my mouth open and places a cool glass tube in my mouth, mostly a thermometer to check my temperature.

I rub my temple which aches dully. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have let you have ice-cream after dinner," he mutters and I remember the tub of mint chocolate tub of Ben and Jerry's I chomped while we sat and watched, well mostly I heard, The Godfather.

"You know I'm not a baby," I mumble as I feel the side of the mattress dip as he plops next to me.

"What are you saying?" he asks, pinching my cheeks and then squishing them with his palms.

"You are my baby doll."

I pout at the name and I hyperventilate when he suddenly gets up to leave. "Where are you going?" I panic, dreading to be by myself after that nightmare.

"Relax, I just made some soup for you," he softly says and hands me a small cup with a piece of toast.

I quietly nibble the piece of mildly burnt bread. "I didn't realize I had slept so long," I mumble as I stretch out my cramped up legs.

"You had me worried."

"Is it night time? Do you have to go to work? Can I come with you?" I plead, not wanting to be left alone.

"Actually," he pauses as I take a long sip of the delicious hot chicken broth. "I quit my job."

I nearly spit the soup out in surprise. "Well, I decided that I should get a proper job now," he explains, noting the dumbfounded expression on my face as my jaw hangs open.

"What? Why?" I splutter.

He chuckles and ruffles my hair playfully, "To earn more money obviously. I know it might be hard to believe but I'm quite a smart man, lyubov moya, a software engineer infact."

Now that was surprising, I knew that Ryan was smart but I thought he used more muscle than brain, considering how well he's maintaining his body.

"A body that I've been getting very familiar with lately."

 "You thought I was dumb?"

His question seems like more of a statement, full of amusement, making me hide my face in the pillow in embarrassment, "I didn't think that!"

"Then you are wondering how I have the time to maintain my sexy body?" he gruffly whispers into my ear, making the hairs on my hands stand.

I push him away as I blush and deny his accusation, knowing how much control he has over my body.

"I wasn't thinking that." I pause, "Then again, why are you just a security guard here?"

He holds my hand, "I just wanted to find a family in this town, but it turns out they left a couple of months ago, so I just needed a temporary job to survive with a bit of money, hence the job as a security guard," he explains.

"But, then why are you still here?"

His finger traces the outline of my lips, causing me to shudder in response to his feather like touch, "Why do you think, lyubov moya?"

"I don't know, but what's lyubov moosa?" I ask, wondering if I had pronounced it right. My breath hitches as his fingers tickle my neck teasingly.

 "The reason I stayed." 

A/N:

To those silently reading, I hope you guys tell me how it is. I don't really know if I'm doing a good job, I hope I am. That's why your comments would really make my day. 😊😊

How do you feel about him quitting his job?

What color do you think Ryan's eyes are?😋😋😋

Don't you think they're cute together?

Thank you guys for reading!

I love you ❤❤🍓