Chapter 2-- The Letter's Disclosure and the Formulation of Questions

Start from the beginning

“So, my little girl’s now a lady.” I heard Dad as he entered my room. I move my gaze into his. He was wearing a suit of formal evening clothes and in his arms was his dinner jacket. He looked dressed also and seems like already prepared.

“What do you think Dad?” I turned around which made my dress look so puffy.

“OK.” He said. I gave him a sarcastic disappointed look ‘cos I know he’s just joking. Dad’s always like that.

“Well, I said, it’s ok as it perfectly suits you, sweetheart.” He finally said and grinned. He came in front of me and kiss me on the forehead. He went next to Mom and  gave her a kiss on the lips and enveloped her with a tight hug. My parents were just so lovely to watch.

“I need to go first at the event, as I need to prepare something in there.” He takes a look at Mom then to me.

“What? I thought everything’s ok.” Mom retorted.

“Yes, but Gen. Forsberg called and he said there’s an emergency.” Dad answered. He looked so disappointed that seems like everything gone wrong and is ruined.

“What emergency? Tell me if we could help you.” Mom was worried by this time. I can see the concern in her eyes.

Instead of Dad answering Mom, he moved his mouth near Mom’s ears and whispered something. It’s so private. I can’t hear anything. I saw Christina knit one’s brow, which indicates that she’s also worried and interested in what Dad was whispering to Mom. Mom nodded to Dad after that. But, her worry still theirs. What’s wrong?

I must not ask anymore as I know that it's nothing important to me or even to Christina who were standing still with an empty expression on her face.

“Ok, go now, Hector. Be safe.” Mom finally said to Dad and gave him a kiss on the cheeks. Dad nodded and went to me and kissed my forehead. “Take care, Dad.”

Before he exited my room, he told us, “I’ll just send someone to fetch you here.”

“Okay,” said Mom. He left the room. The three of us, me, Christina and Mom, remain in silence. What’s going on?

“Helen, remove first your shoes, wear it later. Give it first to Christina. I’ll go prepare for myself also. So, stay here and wait until I call you to come down, ok?” Mom broke the silence.

“Yes, Mom.” I said as I take off my shoes and put it inside the shoebox. Christina held the shoe box. I searched for my slippers beside at my closet and wore it immediately as the floor was really cold.

“Let’s go, Christina.” Mom said while looking for Christina. They left the room afterwards. Christina’s still following Mom. Well, she’s our stylist. She’s the one who fixes our hairs or our appearance the most so probably, Mom needs her.

∞□□∞

It’s been hours since Mom left me here in my room. Well, I couldn’t blame Mom ‘cos she really is a meticulous woman. She wants everything to be perfect most especially in her appearance and outfit.

I sat down in front of my study table located near my window where I can see the view of the skies and flowers planted in our garden. It no longer blooms like before. It hasn’t been watered and maintained for the past few days maybe because everybody’s busy and maybe, maybe because of the war. Well, I really don’t know as I was not allowed to go out or go even just in our garden last weeks.

I pulled out the second drawer of my study table where inside it are my papers and pens, school things to be exact. I grabbed the a piece of paper and a pen.