Chapter Fourteen-Holding Cells and Family Ties

(A/N: I apologize for the super late upload; things have been a little hectic right now.  My husband deployed on Saturday and I've been super busy being a single Mom.  Anyway, hope you enjoy; its a little different, and let me know what you think.  Your comments are always inspiring, and I love the feedback!)

Chapter Fourteen-Holding Cells and Family Ties

“They’re waiting for us, you know?  They know as planned.  What is your suggestion on how to wipe out the threat?”

“There isn’t a threat!  What have they done to deserve to be murdered, because if you think what you’re doing isn’t murder, then you’re wrong.  It’s cold blooded, is what it is!”

“If you have an issue with it, then you will be escorted to the holding cell until their annihilation is complete.  But think about what you’re saying, Spencer.  They’re beasts, and what’s worse is that they’ve now paired with last of the Montgomery family.  It’s our duty, the same as it was our ancestor’s duty, to keep this world pure.  And it cannot be pure with these unnatural creatures roaming within it.”

“And we’re any better, William?  Sure as hell doesn’t seem like it.  I thought we were better than this; it’s not our job anymore.  They aren’t a threat; I’m not even sure they ever were.  What right do we have to kill them off just because they’re different?”

“Abigail, take our young activist to the holding cell.  I won’t have him ruining all that we’ve worked for these many generations.”

“It won’t bring them back, William!  It won’t change a damn thing!”

“I’ve heard enough.  If you do not take him to that holding cell, I will slit his throat before more vicious blasphemy spills out of his mouth to taint our ears.  TAKE HIM TO THE CELL!”

“Yes, sir,” a young girl said softly, her brown curls bowed in submission.  Slowly, she moved forward, guiding the two large men and their charge between them towards the basement of their compound, her eyes brimming with tears as she held open the thick metal door to the holding cell.  As the two burly men roughly shoved their struggling charge in, she shut the door tightly, gazing through the small eight by eight inch square window in the middle of the metal door, watching as her younger brother paced in the small confines.  The two burly men turned from the window as well, their eyes filled with sorrow as they began to slowly march back up the stairs, leaving the siblings to their own devices.

“You shouldn’t have done that, Spencer.  Why do you insist on drawing attention to yourself?” Abigail asked softly, her mouth pressed against the glass window as her brother moved to the window as well, his forehead resting against the glass.  She heard him sigh and then felt the thump as he slammed a fist against the door.  Shaking his blonde head, he lifted his gaze to hers, squinting his brown eyes through a fresh layer of tears.

“It isn’t right, Abby.  You and I both know that!  We can’t just sit back and let more hurt for our brother’s wrong doing; you know it’s wrong!  No one can change what they were born as, they can only deal with it or else I would have changed what our family has become years ago.”

“You don’t mean that, Spencer.”

“Yes, I do!  We’re murderers, Abby!  We can stand here all day and tell ourselves that we’re saving the human race, but at some point, we’ll have to face reality.  We have killed the innocent all in some bloody quest that William thinks will solve everything.  It won’t bring back our mother or father; all its going to do is get the ones we love killed,” Spencer sighed heavily, rolling from the window to slide down the cement walls of his cell.  With a soft thud, he hit the ground, holding his head in his hands while his sister played with the peeling paint surrounding the small window.