Part 2

The next day, Mal got up and headed towards the palace. She passed some of her friends on the way there and stopped to talk for a while. She was late by the time she got there but Ben had always been fine with that. She didn't actually have to work there and went because Ben wanted someone to talk to and consult before making big decisions. As she into the palace, something instantly felt different to her. Not a good different, a bad different. Ben came into the room and pushed past Mal, bumping her and he walked by.

"What's wrong, Ben?" she asked, running to catch up to him. She put her hand on his shoulder but he threw it off and glared at her.

"What are you doing here?" he replied.

"What do you mean? Ben, if it's about last night I'm sorry." she said. He scoffed.

"Of course you are. Don't worry, I understand. Mal is too great to be wrong and in order to get her way, she has to apologize. Whatever you want I can assure you it's not happening." he told her. He turned his back on a stunned Mal and walked up to his office. She stood there for a little bit before following him upstairs. She was sure she hadn't been that harsh on him the day before. Meanwhile, Ben's mind was grumbling about how annoying she was and his heart was breaking for the way he had treated her. She's so stupid. Why does she always think she's the best? She has no idea what's happening. This isn't her fault. She wants to know why I'm upset? Then she can ask her face and behavior . Why am I like this? What's happening to my mind? he argued with himself all the way to his office. When Mal walked in he rolled his eyes. "Just sit over there and keep quiet. I run the kingdom my way not your's." he snapped. Mal sat in her usual chair and found one of Belle's books to read. She only skimmed through it though as she was deep in thought. What made Ben like this? It was like magic. Wait, magic! The necklace? No. Someone had to wish it. I didn't. I'm pretty sure Ben didn't wish to become rude. My mother was in the room... With that thought, Mal froze. It was possible. Her mother is evil enough to do that and she wasn't locked up at the moment.

"Ben, I'll be right back." she said. Ben just huffed in response as she got up and left. She walked down the hall and to her bedroom where her lizard mom was. She cast a quick spell on herself so she could understand her mom's squeaks then kneeled down in front of her. "Mom, did you wish for Ben to become rude?" she carefully asked.

"What? Why would I do that?" Maleficent replied.

"Mom." Mal said.

"Why wouldn't I is the real question. Darling, I'm an evil villain. Ruining lives of heroes is what I do." Maleficent told her.

"But I'm not a hero."

"But you don't consider yourself a villain? Weird. If you're not a villain but you're not a hero and you're good, then what are you?" she challenged.