CHAPTER 1: What happened that night

Emily snuggled deeper into the small space between her mother's warm body and her father's protective, larger body. It was a little cave she dug for herself every time she slept in their room, which wasn't very often usually, but becoming more frequent. The nightmares were never about something particular, mostly switching between werewolves and her family being hurt. The two things she was most scared of. At a young age, both she and her year older brother Remus were taught by their father that werewolves were soulless monsters that deserved to die and nothing else. They killed for sport, and bit young children only to curse them with lycanthropy as well. They were terrible creatures that didn't deserve to walk on this earth. Emily was especially terrified to sleep alone tonight (even though Remus slept in the same room as her) because it was a full moon. If she listened hard enough, she could hear the distant howling of the wolves, planning their next attack on some poor defenseless child.

Emily pressed her body against her dad's, rubbing her head of long sandy hair on her father's back. She was nearly asleep for the second time that night when she heard a loud noise and a scream.

She sat up, panting. Her parents were awake in a flash, moving quickly around her to see what was wrong. The sounds came from Emily and Remus' bedroom. Her father ran out as fast as he could, wand at the ready, yelling for Remus.

Silence.

Then another loud noise, like a crash, and a scream that made Emily's heart beat faster than it ever had, so fast she was sure that her heart was going to leap out of her chest and sprint away. Her mother held her close to her, squeezing the small child tightly to her chest, and whispering softly into her ear. It was like a chant, how she spoke, like she was more trying to convince herself than her daughter.

"It's all okay, it's all fine, Daddy will take care of it, don't worry, it's okay."

Over and over. Again and again. Emily's heart beat sped up every time she heard her mother speak, rather than slowing down. The screams and noises continued for a long time, forcing Emily to start to cry. It sounded horrible, like someone was dying.

Her father's shouts joined the bloodcurdling mix, and then the sounds became louder and Emily screamed. Her tears came faster and thicker, falling onto her mothers lap, and she knew that her mother was crying as well despite how hard she was trying to hold it in.

A howl sounded through the night. Long and high, calling out to the surrounding wolves to let them know of the attack. Emily still was not sure what had happened, but all she knew was that Remus still hadn't come running into the room as he should've a long time ago.

Emily Isabel Lupin was scared not just for her, she was scared for her brother.

The screams finally stopped, but her father continued to yell. No more terrifying sounds and noises, no more howls. Just her dad yelling furiously and shouting out spells. Hope Lupin, her mother, stood up slowly, testing her balance before she wiped her eyes and stared at her only daughter. "Stay."

Emily grabbed her arm as she tried to leave, pleading her with her gaze, but her mother just gave her an apologetic look and ran down the hallway to see her husband. Emily was alone, stranded in the dark, knowing the monster was still out there somewheres.

Knowing her older brother was definitely not okay.

She curled herself up into a ball, hugging her knees and becoming as tiny as she could make herself. She pulled at the thick blanket and covered herself in darkness, shielding her body from the outside world.

She had never been so terrified. Her hands had never been so sweaty before, and her cheeks were damp from crying. Her legs were shaking beneath her pajama pants, and her hair wasn't straight anymore, as it naturally was, it was curly and tangled. In short, she probably looked like she'd had her soul sucked by a dementor.