IV

Alyssa pulled on Nick's arm, dragging him to a small, hole-in-the-wall coffee shop about two blocks from where they were supposed to turn. As he was pulled, he noticed Seaside Coffee Shop written above the door before the door closed softly behind them and Nick was enveloped in warm air, a wonderful contrast to the chilly breeze outside. Inside, soft music was playing quietly, its soft murmur strangely comforting. Nick took a look around as Alyssa released her grip on him.

The walls of the room were wooden and brown, and reminded Nick of the cabin he used to vacation to with his family during the winter. The strong scent of coffee filled his senses as he approached the small counter. Alongside the counter was a glass display of pastries and sandwiches, all looking freshly made and tasty.

He turned his head to the right to find Alyssa casually talking to the girl behind the counter.

"Do you come here often?" Nick asked, his attention turning back to the food.

Alyssa leaned on her arm as she responded, "That is, literally, the most over used pick up line ever." Nick raised an eyebrow, though he didn't turn away from the turkey sandwich he was staring at. He didn't eat lunch that day.

"Pick up line?" Nick asked, "What's that?"

"Well, uh, basically it's this thing guys say - or girls, you know, I'm not being sexist - when they try to ask someone out. But they're usually really bad. Like what you just said, people call it a pick up line, because you, you know, pick people up with it. Although, I never did understand why it's called picking someone up, you don't-" Alyssa explained.

"You're doing the thing again," Nick pointed out. His eyes had moved onto a chocolate croissant. Nick felt his stomach growl.

"What thing?" Alyssa asked, joining Nick in staring at the foods.

"Rambling. You're doing it again." Nick finally decided on his choice, looking up at the blonde girl who worked there. "I'll have one of those," he pointed at one of the precooked roast beef sandwiches, "and a coffee."

The blonde replied in a very chirpy voice, "Of course! Coming right up." Just as Alyssa said, "Oh, I am? Damn, I should really a stop that. Bad habit, sorry."

Nick ignored her as he rounded the corner of the counter, dragging his fingers along the surface, where the cash register was placed. The girl put his sandwich into an oven-like machine  to hear it and began brewing his coffee, before standing on the side of the counter opposite Nick.

"That would be six eighty-three." Nick handed her a ten dollar bill. "Three seventeen is your change, here is your receipt," she gave him his receipt, the change messily placed atop it, "and your order will be ready in about two minutes."

Nick took the sheets of paper and round pieces of metal from the girl, tucking them into his wallet neatly. He had just turned to walk away when he heard the girl clear her throat.

"You're welcome," she snapped from behind him. Nick rolled his eyes to himself and continued walking away, taking a seat the the table in the corner of the room. He saw Alyssa apologize to the girl before trailing after him.

"You know you're supposed to say thank you, right?" Alyssa sighed as she sat at the seat across from him. Nick shuffled through his bag, flicking through the neatly organized binders and folders, in search of his book.

"Supposed to, that doesn't mean it's mandatory. Thank you's are a simple courtesy that I do not need to be bothered with saying," he said, flipping through the pages to find the one he left off at, not bothering to look up at the girl staring down at him.