Chapter Seven

(Damien.) Angelica called the next day around ten in the morning.

(What?) Damien replied.

(Where are you with my groceries? I thought you were bringing them today.)

(I was told not to.)

(By who?) Angelica demanded.

(Your new friend.) Before Angelica could reply she heard a knock on her door. She closed the link with Damien and walked over to look through the tiny peephole up top. Her old door had not had one but Alex had told her that he thought she might like being able to look outside every now and then.

She smiled when she saw the side of his head and his green hair. He had it spiked up today and the sight made her want to laugh as it stood four inches and rock hard in the air. Then she remembered what Damien had said. Her new friend had told him not to bring her food. The only real friend she had was Alex... Was that who he was talking about?

Alex heard the many locks unlocking and he tried to fight back his racing pulse as he waited for the door to open. He was irritated that he was even here. Irritated that the thought of hearing her voice and seeing her smile had had him pacing his apartment until a late enough time for him to show up. Irritated that Tony has spent half the night telling him what a prude he was after he had once again turned down Candy's invitation for sex and kicked her and her friends out of his apartment.

He smiled broadly when he saw her but then the smile quickly turned into a frown when he realized that she did not look happy to see him.

"Are you okay?" Alex asked.

"No. My friends are angry with you." Angelica replied. Alex couldn't help but noticed that her cheeks were full, not a bit sunken in and they were flushed pink with anger as she crossed her arms (also more full and toned) over her chest and glared at him. For a second he found himself wishing he could see her body in something other than a baggy dress but then he mentally bitch slapped himself. Friend. Friend. Friend. He seemed to be reminding himself a lot the last two days that she was only a friend.

"Okay, so when you say your friends are angry with me, it means you are angry with me. What did I do?"

"Did you tell Damien not to bring me what I need?" she demanded and Alex let out a nervous chuckle and rubbed the back of his neck.

"Uh.. Yeah. Yeah I did."

"I thought we were friends? Why would you do that to me?"

"We are friends and that's why I did it!" Alex replied loudly and he saw her flinch and take a nervous step back and he reminded himself to keep his voice calm and gentle. "It's not okay for you to lock yourself up in this cabin and never go anywhere, Angelica."

"I'm fine! I'm not crazy! I just don't like to go places! He has spies everywhere, Alex! Everywhere!" she exclaimed loudly, her wide, blue eyes full of panic and fear.

"Please calm down." he said and without giving any thought to what he was doing, he grabbed her hands (which she was wringing nervously), in his and pulled her closer to him so that less than a foot was separating their bodies.

"You need to trust me, Angelica. I know how smart you are and I know how strong you are. Hell, only one really tough broad would still be kicking and screaming after everything you've been through." He grinned and she felt a small smile tugging on the corners of her mouth despite her fear and anger. "I am your friend and I won't let anything else bad happen to you. I'm not asking you to drop yourself into downtown New York City all alone." He saw her shiver and knew that that must sound like her idea of hell.