Fifty-Three - SURVIVAL

Start from the beginning

A cannon blast shattered Sam’s nerves. The battle had begun, and he felt even more anxious to get on with this attack. The ship they targeted fired their forward guns, but the munitions fell far short, splashing into the water well before his ship. The smell of spent powder reached Sam, reminding him that the corsairs had the weather gauge. The inaccuracy of the Barbary cannon was a revelation to Sam that the enemy was a bit nervous as well. Hendrick fired the forward guns of the Whydah and missed.

As the Sultana and the Mary Anne closed in on the single corsair gally, both cannon crews began finding their mark. Sam’s face contorted as the Sultana’s guns roared to life. Incoming artillery smashed into the railing near his men, scattering them to the deck. They got to their knees and ducked down low as a continuing barrage of eight pounders smashed into the woodworks all around them. They were stationary targets as they waited for their chance to board the enemy ship. Usually they did not board a ship until the cannon, swivel guns, and rifles had done their work and cleared the decks but there was no time.

Sam looked up into the sails of the Whydah where many men were perched with rifles at the ready. He raised his arm then looked to the corsair gally coming into position. “Get ready, men.”

He dropped his arm down giving the signal to attack. A host of guns fired simultaneously, and he noticed that Paulgrave had many men firing down on the enemy decks as well. Sam took his grappling hook and threw it as high and as far as he could. The hook caught hold of some rigging lines and Sam gave it a quick hard pull. He then stood on the railing and swung across.

When he landed on deck, a dark-skinned man with long curly black hair came at him wielding a curved sword with masterful precision. He drew his own sword and lunged at the man, but before he could engage, the man dropped dead. A crimson stain expanding on the man’s white shirt. He looked around the corsair. His men engaged the enemy as well. A man wearing a turban and a long black beard came running from the decks below, and as soon as Sam went to engage him, he dropped dead, with one bullet in his chest.

He arched his brows, and then turned to the men up in the Sultana’s crow’s-nest. One of the men smiled and waved to him. He raised his hands up and shook his head. He motioned the best way he could for the man to fire another direction. Thunderous cannon fire vibrated Sam’s chest. Cyprian and Prince were in a fierce fight of their own. Sam turned just as another sword came for his neck. Sam dropped to his knees and slashed with his longer blade, catching the assailant on the leg, but it did not slow him down much. Sam rolled out of the way, as the warrior gashed the deck with his blade.

Small arms fire continued to ring out. Men screamed and moaned as bullets and blades found their targets. He took a quick look around when a searing pain slashed across his chest. He pulled open his shirt and glanced at the wound. It was superficial, but bleeding profusely. He dodged another blow and lunged at his enemy. The barbarian smashed his heavy sword into Sam's steel and knocked it out of his hands. Sam looked to the sharpshooter, but he was now firing elsewhere. “Perfect,” he growled. Sam caught the brute in the chin with his fist. The man seemed little affected and was able to land one square on Sam’s nose.

Sam’s vision blurred, as everything slowed. He wiped his nose and blood smeared heavy on his hand. The switch in his mind triggered and his eyes went dark and angry.

A succession of booms added to the already smoky air. His eyes widened fists clenched. The barbarian laughed dropping his sword to the deck and stepped eagerly toward Sam.

Sam launched a fist at the man’s chin. He saw in what seemed to be slow motion, the warriors jaw dislocate. Then, everything sped up. Another blow to the man’s ribs doubled him over but Sam was not finished. His anger and adrenaline were peaked. He grabbed the barbarian’s neck and pushed him upright. He landed several heavy body blows not noticing the man’s arms hanging at his sides. Sam pulled back for a knockout blow but someone grabbed his arm and stopped him. He turned ready to fight another enemy.