Forty-Four - OLD FEELINGS

Forty - Four - OLD FEELINGS

June 1717

Mirrors and paintings of all shapes and sizes covered the dance hall walls. Crystal chandeliers and sconces lit the grand room brilliantly. Gold accented dark handcrafted wood. It was a beautifully warm, rich ambiance and the live music fell right into line.

In classic Baroque style, Maria smiled and gave a curtsey to Cade as they performed the latest minuet. Each move was graceful and choreographed down to the placement of the balls of the feet at each step. Maria glanced at her parents whose smiles could not have possibly been any bigger. When the dance ended, Maria made her way to the musicians. She pulled them together and whispered something so only they could hear.

The conductor hesitated a bit. “But Madam Hallet said this is to be a formal event.”

Mariah took his free hand. “Oh come now, Jefferson, let’s have a bit of fun.”

The conductor looked over to Mrs. Hallet. “I wish we could, Miss, but—”

“Miss? Really Jefferson. It is as if you do not know me at all.” Maria leaned slowly in to his ear. “Please play the song, for me.” The scent of powder he used in his wig reminded her of her father. The conductor swallowed hard, which made her smile. She looked in his eyes. He smiled and gave her a nod. Maria kissed his cheek and then went back to Cade.

“I feel sorry for the man,” Cade said taking Maria’s hand.

Maria turned around and watched the conductor get the musicians ready for the next song. She shrugged and turned back to Cade. “Sometimes a lady only has but one way to get her point across to a man.”

Cade leaned closer to Maria’s ear. “I believe you underestimate yourself.”

The music was fast and the dance more liberal. Maria smiled as she watched Cade go through all the motions. She taught him this one recently and he told her he liked it. She knew he really didn’t like to dance, but he did like being with her. She laughed as Cade swung her around with ease.

They switched partners and although she was enjoying herself tremendously, she could not wait to get back to Cade. Her eyes scanned the dancers in an effort to locate him, but that only made her dizzy. She apologized to her partner and stepped out of the dance area. She quickly located Cade, who also left the dance, grabbed Maria’s hand, and pulled her out onto the gallery, where he kissed her, then wrapped his arms around her in a long embrace.

Maria stared into Cade’s eyes. “I can’t believe this is happening, it’s like a dream.”

Cade grabbed her hand and put it on his cheek. “I’m real Maria and this is no dream.”

“It may sound silly, but sometimes I still feel guilty, like I’m betraying Sam.”

Cade wiped a tear from her cheek. “It’s not silly. You were in love with Sam Bellamy, maybe you always will be, but we have to get used to the fact that he is gone.”

Maria nodded. “You’re right.” Maria laid her head on his chest. She knew Cade was right, but she could not get the image of Sam out of her mind. She closed her eyes and pictured his scruffy face and long black hair as she hugged Cade tight.

                                                                                           ***

The next morning Maria awoke with a smile on her face. The sun shined through her windows, setting her room in a soft angelic glow. An image of last night’s kiss sent a rush of excitement through her body. She grabbed her pillow and held it to her chest, imagining it was Cade holding her in his warm, secure embrace. Life could not get any better.