Thirty Seven - WHISPERS OF MUTINY

Thirty-Seven -WHISPERS OF MUTINY

January 1717

Down in a small corner of the cargo hold, a single candle flickered in the darkness. Several men sat around a makeshift table, playing cards. Hendrick Quintor studied his hand. The other men in the game stared as they waited for him to make his a move.

“Take yer time, Quintor,” Dr. Ferguson said.

Hendrick looked up at the Scotsman. “You don’t want to rush me.”

The doctor smiled at John Julian and Joseph ‘old man’ Rivers. “Whit ye ginnae do aboot it?”

Hendrick kept peering at his cards. “You’ll bloody find out if you keep at it.”

“We’d like to finish this game sometime this year,” Rivers said.

Hendrick looked over his cards at the doctor and Rivers. “You too, old man? I’m not afraid to rip both your heads off.”

The men chuckled at the absurdity of the idea. “It is good practice to know if your threat is possible before giving it,” John said, still laughing.

“Oh it’s absolutely possible,” Hendrick said with a wicked grin.

Dr. Ferguson laughed and then raised his voice. “Go already, Hendrick.”

Hendrick looked back at his cards. “One,” he said slapping a card on the table.

Rivers slid a card off the top of the deck over to Hendrick, who picked it up and slid it amongst his others.

“I’ve seen a man’s head get ripped clean off,” Rivers said in his deep, slow way.

Hendrick gave the doctor a look. “What did I tell you, Doc?”

“Wasn’t a man that did the work,” Rivers continued, “Was a cannon ball from a British Man of War; Head exploded on impact leaving nothing but a spray of blood and bits on the deck.”

“You saw that?” John asked with a sour face.

Rivers nodded. “With my own two eyes, sure as I’m looking at you now.”

Staring at his cards Hendrick shook his head. “Man of War? How did you get away?”

“Didn’t. We were captured, arrested, and were scheduled to hang. A few of us managed to strangle a guard and get away.”

“You ever thought of giving it up?” Hendrick asked.

Rivers shuffled his cards around. “I don’t know how to do anything else.”

“Did they go after you?” John asked.

“Aye they did, but we buccaneers knew the Carolinas far better than those damned Brits. They’re probably still looking for us out there.”

Dr. Ferguson slapped a card down. “Or oot here.”

“They’re always looking for us out here.” Rivers set down a card and took another one. “To hell with them? If I had it my way, we would attack every British ship we came across.” Rivers scratched at a scar on his cheek.

“I’m not so sure that would be such a good idea Rivers,” Richard Nolan said coming upon the group from the darkness. “You have room for one more?”

“Pull up a chair,” John said pointing to a small barrel.

“Bad hand anyway.” Hendrick threw his cards down on the table. “How’s the loot? Safe and sound I wager?”

Everyone else threw down their cards and the doctor pushed them all to Hendrick.

Richard gave Hendrick a slight grin. “It’s all there.”

“Hornigold’s a wee bit scared to attack a British ship,” Ferguson said.

Rivers pulled out a pipe and prepared it for a smoke. “Practically shook in his boots last we spotted one.”

 Richard walked the barrel over to the table and sat down. “I don’t think he’s scared as much as he is cautious.”

 “Cautious of what? Getting too wealthy?” Hendrick quipped.

Richard pulled out his own pipe. “The British are the power in these waters. If Hornigold makes too much of a name for himself, King George could send a whole fleet to annihilate us.”

Rivers picked up one of the candles and used it to light his pipe. His face lit up with an orange glow as he primed the tobacco. “King George is no ally.”

Richard got his pipe smoking then removed it. “Maybe not, but it’s not very smart to become a threat to his royal navy either.”

“George cannae tell a threat tae his Navy from his own arse,” Dr. Ferguson said with a red face.

“That’s because his ‘arse’ is a threat to the Royal Navy,” John said with a grin.

The men all laughed while Hendrick cut a new deck. “I have nothing against Hornigold, I barely know the man.” He started dealing the cards. “However, in my opinion, if he is not willing to consider attacking British ships.” He took a deep breath. “Then we need to find someone who is.”

The table got quiet. The others looked down at their cards.

“No one has an opinion on the matter?” Hendrick asked.

“It’s too risky,” Richard whispered.

Hendrick concentrated on dealing. When he was done, he set the deck down. “I know it’s a risk, but—”

“It’s Mutiny!” Richard raised his voice. He looked around the darkness.

“I know what it is,” Hendrick continued.

“We could be marooned or hanged,” Richard said.

Hendrick shook his head. “That won’t happen. Most of the crew are unhappy with how things are.”

Dr. Ferguson set down a card and raised one finger at Hendrick who gave him a new one. “Who’d be the man tae take his place?”

Richard picked up his cards. “Ben has more experience than anyone aboard save Rivers here.”

Rivers pointed his finger at Richard, then around the table. “Anyone votes for me, I’ll have Hendrick rip your head off.” Rivers said it in a serious tone, but something about his slow, deep rhythm made it funny to the others.

“Teach is the obvious choice,” Hendrick said.

Richard nodded and slapped two cards down. “That may be true, but he’s already been made captain of the galleon, and rumor has it, he wants to go on his own.”

“What about Sam?” John asked.

Richard shrugged. “I like Sam, he’s a good man, but I’m not sure he’s got the experience we need.”

John set two cards down and took two from Hendrick. “I think he does; he has shown his leadership time and time again, and he has good instincts.”

“Not that it matters, because we’re not doing this,” Richard said slapping a card on the table. “One.”

The men fell silent. The discussion was serious and each man’s thoughts went to the possibilities, as well as the dangers of organizing a mutiny. If successful, they would be able to take more ships and more profits. If, however, it failed, punishment according to the articles could mean death. They would bide their time for an opportune moment.