Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen- Losing My Best Friend

  As we walked in, I saw everyone that I knew. Aiden was at the refreshment table, Emma dancing with her boyfriend Jack, Yumie finally talking to Bart and etc. 

  Zayn and I were on our way to find a seat when I felt a pair of hands around my waist. I quickly turned around to see Xavier.

  "What do you want Xavier?" I was very annoyed by his presence.

  "Is that anyway to greet your boyfriend, princess?"

  "Well no, not if I had one..." I turned to start walking again when he grabbed my wrist.

  "What are you talking about?" I yanked my arm back angrily.

  "Don't fucking touch me. And don't act like you don't know what you did. I saw you confess your fucking love for my best friend."

  "Elisabeth, I can explain..."

  "Don't they all fucking say that. Next time grow a pair and instead of getting together with the girl's best friend to get her, get closer to the girl that you want." I started to turn away when I realized something. I turned around and looked at Xavier in the face.

  "Oh, I also knew you were sleeping with Cheryn every Tuesday and Thursday night." As I walked away I mumbled "man-whore."

  "Bitch, you'll regret ever leavi..." He had stopped in the middle of his sentence. I turned around to see Zayn towering over him with his hands balled into fists. Xavier had a bright red print on his face.

  "Don't ever call her a bitch or anything else that's below her. She is worth so much more than that and deserves so much more than a bitch like you." Zayn walked over to me and grabbed my hand. He started walking towards the table again. Once we sat down, I kissed him on the cheek. He looked at me and gave me a small smile.

  "So, what's the purpose of this 'ball'?" I looked at Zayn. He was looking around the building.

  "Recently, it was mid-terms. So they do this 'ball' for the students to relax and have fun for awhile so they can then stress them all over again..." He chuckled and then nodded his head. I looked into the crowd and saw Audrey dancing with Niall. They would look cute together...

  As we were sitting down, I felt as if someone was watching me. Like when you were in grade school and saw a boy staring at you because he had a crush on you. That's how it felt, only creepier.

  About 20 minutes later, the song Shots came on. I quickly looked at Audrey and she waved me over to her. I looked at Zayn and grabbed his arm.

  "What are you doing?" I didn't say a word. I just dragged him to the middle of the dance floor.

  "Baby girl, I don't dance..."

  "Zayn, I know you can...Or at least do it for me..." He sighed and nodded his head. I smiled and started dancing. He didn't dance at first, but I kind of forced him too. After a while, he started to get into it. He was actually a good dancer.

  A few minutes later, the song A Thousand Years came on. I looked at Zayn awkwardly and started to make my way back to our table when he gently grabbed my hand. I turned around to see him just few inches away from my face. I could basically feel his lips on mine. It didn't take long until I started to blush.

  "May I have this dance, baby girl?" While looking at the floor, I nodded my head. I walked closer to him. He put his hands on my waist. I wrapped my arms around his neck. Even with heels on, he towered over me.

  As we danced, I listened to the beat of his heart. It wasn't too fast nor was it too slow. It was beating at a medium pace, and I liked it. I slowly closed my eyes and flowed with the swaying motion. For someone who couldn't dance, he damn sure could dance now.

  The music slowly came to an end as we heard a voice talk on the microphone.

  "Welcome everybody to our 25th annual masquerade ball!" Everyone roared with happiness.

  "Ok. As you all know, recently one of our favorite people, Elisabeth Scott, has disappeared. But...", there was an indescribable silence in the room, "sources tell me that she is in this room right now with a new man." There were murmurs everywhere. The next thing I knew, there was a spotlight on me.

  "Elisabeth come on up!" All eyes were on me as I walked towards the stage. I didn't want to be the center of attention. I didn't even want people to know that I was here. The person that was already on the stage was Dylan Blade. He was the school's news reporter. He told everyone the latest gossip. Looks like I'm his newest edition...

  "Elisabeth, where have you been for this long ass time?" I looked at him with a blank expression.

  "I can't tell you..."

  "Why not?"

  "Because I don't want everyone in my business..."

  "Well, it's a little too late for that." He laughed at his little joke as well as the everyone else.

"Why are you asking me these questions. None of you actually care about me..." He had a shocked expression.

  "Of course we do, Elisabe..."

  "No you don't. Because if you did, you guys would have made an attempt to find me or call the police. And to be honest, I much rather where I am now than here with a bunch of fake ass bitches, sluts, bastards, and man-whores." By now everyone was looking at me. So much for not being the center of attention...

  "So tell us about your new man?"

  Frozen.... I felt frozen. I didn't know what to say. If I said I don't have a new man, I could hurt Zayn's heart, but if I said nothing like how I am now, Dylan will bother me even more.

  I searched the crowd for Zayn but saw something else. I came across a figure that looked like Audrey being taken away. I frantically searched to see if Niall was trying to chase after her. In the far distance, Niall was trying to make his way through a ton of people that wouldn't move out of his way. When I looked to see Audrey again, she was already gone....

  Who took my best friend...my sister...

  I ran off the stage and towards the front entrance. I heard a faint voice calling my name. It sounded just like Audrey's. As reached the street, I saw a black car starting to drive off. Without thinking, I quickly kicked my shoes off and started running after the car. By the time I reached the stop light, they were gone... I fell onto the street and began sobbing.

  "Elisabeth!" I heard a deep voice say. I didn't turn around. I didn't care what they had to tell me. All I could think was how I just let my best friend, basically my sister, get kidnapped and didn't do anything to stop it. I felt strong arms wrap around my torso. I began to cry harder. I couldn't help but hope that this was a dream and that I would wake up any moment now.

  "Elisabeth... what happened?" I rested my head on the person's chest. I didn't know who it was and I didn't care.

  "I just lost my best friend... my sister..." The person's grip tightened.

  "Harry, what the hell is going on?" I heard the voice of the person I desperately needed. I slowly got up and looked at Zayn. He gave me a sympathetic look. I quickly ran into his arms. Right now, that was closest I felt to home. I continue to cry as he rubbed my back.

  "What happened, Elisabeth?" He whispered into my ear.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hey guys!!! Sorry for the long wait... School started and I'm already stressed. But don't worry I am working on a schedule. Hope you liked it!!