Chapter Thirteen: Complication.

Start from the beginning

He groaned loudly and I had to hold back a snicker.  He was such a sucker.  He raised his head and caught a glimpse of the tears in my eyes, which had his widening in fear.  "Please don't cry!  I forgive you.  You didn't do anything wrong.  Just please, dear lord I am begging you, don't cry."

I raised my own head and grinned at him, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek before plopping back down onto my butt.  "Thank you, Brandt!  You're the best!"

His face smacked down into the desk again.  "I know you're acting.  I've always known.  It shouldn't have this affect on me."

"It's the eyes," Charlotte told said, giving him a sympathetic nudge with her elbow.  "Who can resist those big, green, watery eyes?"

I laughed, then remembered I had something very important to tell them.  "Guys...  I really have to talk to you.  It's serious."

At my tone, both my friends sat straight in their seats and watched my warily.  Brandt was the first to speak.  "What is it, Eliza?"

I took a deep breath then said in a rush.  "My mother is closing up the house and moving Tuck and me to the Hamptons."

There was a moment of complete silence while the people I was closest to tried to digest what I'd just said.  Again, Brandt's face went into the desk with a moan.  Charlotte's face, however, turned a mottled red and I watched as anger flashed in her eyes.  She shrieked, "What?!  She can't!  That's your house!"

"Not until I'm twenty-one," I pointed out quietly, a little awed at her fury.

"But...  You're eighteen!  You have money!  Just get an apartment or something!"  Her entire face lit up at this idea.

I looked at Brandt, who'd lifted his head at Charlotte's outburst, to see him nodding enthusiastically.  I smiled widely at them both.  "God, I love you guys.  I knew you'd think the same thing I did!"

"Then why did you even say anything about moving to the Hamptons?!  I almost had a heart attack, Eliza."  Charlotte huffed out a breath, glaring at me.

"I just wanted to make sure it was a good idea." It had been bouncing around in my head ever since my mother announced that we'd all be moving permanently to the Hamptons.  Charlotte was right, I had money.  I'd come into a small portion of my trust fund, two-million dollars, when I'd turned eighteen.  So far, the only thing I'd used it for was to buy my car, so there was more than enough for me to rent an apartment for a few years.

"Oh, in that case, I'm perfectly fine with almost dying."

"Ha ha, Charles.  Anyway, are you two up for apartment hunting today and tomorrow?  I've got almost two weeks to move out, but I want to get it as done as soon as possible."  Now that I had my friends' approval, there was no doubt in my mind about what I should do.

Brandt nodded enthusiastically.  "I'm in.  I was hoping I could get a ride home anyway; my car's in the shop."

"Really?  Mine just got out."  I laughed, then turned to Charlotte.  "You in?"

"Can we go by my house first, to drop off my car?"

"Duh."

"Then I'm in."

I threw an arm around each of their necks and squeezed them to me.  "You guys are my favorite people."

They wiggled out of my grasp just as the bell rang.  I felt my stomach clench and any lingering happiness from being with my friends vanished.  Suddenly, I just wanted to go home.  I stood slowly, carefully bending over to pick up my book bag and slinging the strap over my shoulder.