Chapter 1

The black iron pot voiced its objections as it crashed into the hairy skull of the Shredgasp. The creature let out a pitiful, dog like yelp before slumping down to the ground. Rand gave the dented pot a sorrowful look. He had bought it for a few coins just two days ago and hadn't even had time to use it for its intended purpose. Now it was more or less ruined.

"Rand!"

The shout pulled him back to reality. He turned just in time to land a hit on a Shredgasp galloping his way, sending it to the side with a yelp. The things ran like a cross between a monkey and dog. Sharp teeth glimmered in the light the camp-fire cast and claws flashed as they tried to rip his flesh.

Rand dropped the pot and made the short lunge to his bedroll and pulled his sword from its scabbard. He lifted the blade just in time to cut down the Shredgasp he had deflected earlier. Dark blood splattered on the ground and on Rand.

He had a moment to survey the situation.

There was Carl on the other side of the camp-fire. The tall, lanky man was swinging his axe and keeping a single monster at bay. Two lay dead at his feet. He had always been deadly with the axe. Claimed the hours spent chopping wood in his childhood had made him a master. Rand suspected it had more to do with the years of adventuring they had done together.

Only a few feet to the left of Carl there was John. The fat bastard moved surprisingly gracefully for someone his size and the heavy metal stick he used as a weapon had already put down one Shredgasp while another one was yelping out in pain as the heavy hits landed.

Then there was Seth, swinging his morning star over his head before sending it crashing down on an attacking monster. The spikes dug in deep, pierced bone, forcing the man to strain the big muscles on his arms when he kicked the thing free and turned his attention to the remaining threat. Out of all the men Seth was the only one who looked like an adventurer with his muscles and rugged face that looked to have gone through more than a few fist fights. Which it had.

Rand shook his head and rushed to help Carl and John. The two remaining monsters were quickly put down with the concentrated efforts of all four men. The silence that landed on the small clearing after the last one was down felt eerie. The heavy breathing of the four friends was the only thing to be heard. The forest around them was dark and silent.

"I thought the Oracle said this area was safe," muttered John and leaned on his metal staff. It nearly bent under his weight.

"He did," assured Rand. "He's never wrong."

"Then what the hell was that?" asked John and pointed at the dead monsters. "We'd be dead now if I hadn't been paranoid and put up the usual tripwires."

"I don't know. A wandering group that just happened upon us?" suggested Rand.

"A wandering group of Shredgasps a mere two days walk away from a city? A Protectorate city no less?" Seth shook his head and raked his hand through his jet black, long hair. "Something is not right here."

Rand felt all their eyes on him. He had been the one to suggest they come here. Now they were blaming him for the danger. Still, it was odd to have such a group of monsters attack. They were still in Protectorate lands and the Red Ravens usually did an excellent job of keeping the lands safe and void of any dangerous beings, even in the hills of the unexplored lands. That had been the case for so long that many monstrosities had learned to avoid coming to the lands. In general it was thought safe to go in the woods if you didn't venture too far beyond the forest covered hills. Two days should have been safe.

A shrill cry echoed from the forest. All four men grabbed their weapons and looked around nervously.

"What was that?" demanded John. His double chin quivered as he moved around.