Chapter 3: Lonely Eyes

"From the little bit I've seen, they're the perfect shade of green. Next time they come my way, heaven help me make 'em stay." ~Chris Young
______________________________________________________

"Um... Hi," she took his hand, "Kate. Nice to meet you."
Rick felt a spark between their hands. He didn't want to let go but knew that it was necessary. Reluctantly, he released her hand and, for once, he was at a loss for words. What had happened to the seemingly flawless charm he usually had?

He hadn't noticed how long he'd been just standing there until he saw her mysterious hazel eyes turn away from him. There was just something about her that he couldn't place, something amazing, and he needed to talk before it was too late. He vocalized the first thing that came to mind, "Can I buy you a drink?"

She turned back around to face him and looked down to the almost full cocktail she was holding. "I think I'm okay right now," she said trying to hide her laugh.

Rick mentally kicked himself, but if him looking bad meant that he'd get to see her smile like that again, he'd be happy to help. "Sorry," he laughed and took the seat next to her.

"So, Kate, tell me, what's a beautiful woman like you doing sitting here at the bar alone?"

He immediately noticed her sudden change in demeanor and mentally prepared himself for the worst. What was he thinking asking the hard questions first?

She pasted on a smile and seriously she said, "You're going to have to buy me a few more drinks to get that story."

He picked up on the change in her voice and the way her head bowed like she was examining her jeans. Vulnerability showed fiercely in her eyes - the kind that is deep rooted, the kind that is only noticeable because of unhealed wounds. He needed to know everything about her.

"Well, in that case..." he said before he turned away to gain the attention of the man behind the bar. "Two glasses of your finest red, please."

Quickly, the bartender retrieved the glasses and handed them off when Rick told him to start a tab.

He gave Kate her glass and reached out his hand for her to take. "C'mon," he said as she tentatively grabbed his hand, "I've got all the time in the world."
__________

Kate had no idea what she was doing. She had just met this man and she was letting him lead her to God know's where. Every instinct she had told her to turn around right there and leave him behind her. But something was stopping her; something made her want to be with him.

"And here we are," he said as he released her hand and opened the door.

All Kate could do was stare into the open room. There was a sectional couch in the corner with a square coffee table. To the left was a small bar equipped with all the essentials, and to her right a large flat-screen TV hung on the wall. What was this place?

Rick chuckled behind her. "The owner of the bar is a friend of mine, his office is right there through that door," he pointed to the doorway on the left side of the room next to the bar, "and he let's me relax in here from time to time."

"How do you know him?" she asked as she traveled around the room, making her way to the plush couch.

He sat down beside her, "He's a friend of mine from high school. We lost touch after graduation and then I ran into him up here on one of my weekend trips. I make it a priority to see him every time I visit."