The Dog Whisper

Chapter One

The Christmas

Present

                        It was Christmas time, the cold breeze washing past Alex’s face as she opened the window, watching the snow drop with a thump on the thick iced layered streets. She could clearly hear the screeches and yells of her sister Emily also shouting loudly, sounding as if she was complaining about something, or crying that something broke, she could hear her mother Tina also yelling back at her and shouting again and again.

‘‘NO EMILY’’ roared Alex’s mother in a rage of anger. Alex slowly went down stairs and tried to listen more carefully. She could still hear Emily’s screeches and yells.

‘‘This is not the right time to open the presents Emily, try to understand the SITUATION!!!’’ Tina roared back again getting annoyed by Emily’s screeches.

‘‘What happened?’’ Asked Bob puzzled walking slowly into the living room where the warm fire was lit, the angry look on Tina’s face getting angrier and angrier could explain it all.

‘‘Why you shouting so much you’re gonna wake the neighbours up’’ said Bob calmly holding his warm tea.

‘‘I’ll tell you, Emily at 1o’clock sneaked in the living room and tried to open some presents and……, luckily I caught her!’’ Said Tina her face now turning red.

‘‘Look Emily this isn’t the right time to be messing around alright’’ Said Bob again in his normal casual calm voice ‘‘Yes dad’’ Emily replied. Alex walked in pretending that she didn’t know anything that had just happened. She looked at all the starring faces and tried to say something but lost it. And at last she forced herself a puzzled look and asked ‘What happened?’

‘‘You sound just like your father!’’ Tina said in pain forcing a calm impression.

‘‘No seriously what happened’’ she repeated again trying to make it look as if she really didn’t know.

‘‘It’s nothing cuteypie’’ Tina blurted out before anyone could say something.

‘‘Bob finish off your tea and you two go to bed its too early’’ Tina said calmly and quietly.

                     That morning they all woke up and went down for breakfast. Alex could smell and hear the bacon sizzling on the pan from the kitchen and felt really hungry, water dripping from her mouth and the warmth spreading through her body. Straight after breakfast they all went into the living room and Tina read out the names. ‘‘Alex your aunt sent you a gift and Emily your uncle sent you a gift, Bob and I have a present from our parents. Alex opened her present and felt something move. Alex felt really happy because it might be a pet and that to Alex loves pets a lot but doesn’t get to buy any. She stuck her hand inside the box and felt something lick her. There was a sudden breeze down her spine and she carefully picked the animal up with excitement. ‘‘A puppy!’’ she gasped.

‘‘I will call you…..!HONEY!’’ she shouted out in a lot of excitement and with joy on her face. Emile stuck her hand in and pulled out a colouring set with glitter pens, felt tips, pencils and lots more.

‘‘WOW!! I love it!’’ Emily cried out in amazement.

‘‘What have you got mum? Emily asked with her eyebrows up and her eyes wide open trying to see the present. Alex saw tears dripping from Tina’s eyes.

‘‘What happened’’ Alex asked looking at Tina sad and puzzled eventually.

‘‘Me and Bob have a locket from our parents…..see’’ she said looking at the locket and not even looking at Bob who also had tears in his eyes but really no one noticed until Emily realized.

‘‘What happened Dada?’’ Emily asked who seemed to be the only one notices stuff. Alex stared at the two lockets, Tina’s was silver, a oval shape and had a flowered pattern on it, Bob’s was also silver but was plain with faint diagonal lines dented in. Emily took both the lockets and saw that her grandmother and her grandfather’s picture was carved in an oval shape and glued inside. She then looked at dads and saw the same. After everyone went upstairs and left for bed, Alex had stayed back as an excuse of saying she wanted to have water. Alex looked at the puppy in its Santa hat and quietly laughed in happiness. She was jumping up and down running all over the place and also making clothes for Honey. She eventually got out of hands and jumped hardly and laughed loudly, soon she heard footsteps coming downstairs and ignored them and carried on.

‘‘What happened?’’ Tina asked

‘‘Doesn’t it look adorable, cute and so sweet just wish when it grows older and older I shall keep him forever’’ Said Alex looking up at Tina with her puppy dog eyes. 

‘‘Oh fine’’ Tina replied looking at Alex doubtfully.

‘‘Don’t worry mum I will look after Honey perfectly’’ said Alex. Tina went back upstairs followed by Alex.

                  When Alex reached her room she quickly zoomed around the room searching for a big box and got a black marker pen and wrote ‘HONEY’ in big bold capitals. Later on Alex had made the puppy go to sleep so she decided to watch honey until she falls asleep.