Her face was void of expression as she took in Franco and me, "Is it correct that before the death of Leslie Owens, the defendant has no knowledge of his fathering a child?"

"That is correct, your honor. It was kept from him for years."

Her expression was skeptical, "So all of this was sprang onto him from practically nowhere?"

I nodded, "Yes, your honor."

"Did he have any relationship with his son or Leslie Owens prior to discovering that he was a father?"

I shook my head, "No, your honor."

She looked unconvinced but accepted my answer. "The responsibility of a child is expensive. Can both parties present me with proof of financial stability?"

I picked up the copy of Franco's tax returns, savings account and inheritance from Leslie and gave it to the bailiff as he came by. Judge Taylor went through each of them separately. You could see when she got to the inheritance because her eyes widened in disbelief.

Her head snapped up and she regarded the two of us with suspicion, "I am to believe that Leslie Owens left everything she owned to a man she didn't know?"

"No, your honor, she left everything she owned to Michael, through his father," I corrected, "If you look at his savings account, one is dedicated to Michael's education and the other for unknown circumstances, taking up seventy-five percent of the monetary inheritance. The rest was placed in Franco's checking account which is necessary for Michael's current care."

She went through the files as I spoke and agreed reluctantly. "I simply find it odd that Leslie Owens decided to not give her daughter her home or savings."

"Well, your honor, Michael was foremost on Leslie's mind so she understandably wanted to make sure that Michael had a secure future."

Her eyes narrowed on me, "Mr. Mironav, was it? You seem very sure of what Leslie Owens wanted."

I silently cursed myself. This was territory I was unsure in engaging in. Admitting my connection to Leslie could be twisted in two very different ways. "Yes, she enlisted me to write her will with Marie Miller as a witness."

"How well acquainted were you with Leslie Owens?"

"Fairly well," I admitted.

"And how well acquainted are you with the defendant?"

"Um..." This was fairly dangerous. The possibility that she would be homophobic stands strong. I would have to hope for the sake of professionalism that she would be able to overlook our relationship.

"Your honor, if I may," Katherine's lawyer interrupted my thoughts, "The plaintiff actually had an investigation of the defendant and came across their relationship."

Franco and I glanced at each other as the bailiff swooped in and grabbed the results of the Katherine's investigation. Judge Taylor looked shocked at the photos of who-knew-what. We never thought to hide our relationship while in public.

She cleared her throat and set the pictures aside, "I see now why you hesitated. But it is odd that after writing Leslie Owen's will that dictates that everything she owns should be given to a man she doesn't know, you are seen being openly affectionate with this man. Perhaps you knew him before Leslie Owens died and perhaps convinced her that giving him the money instead of Michael would be beneficial."

I noticed out of the corner of my eye, Franco stiffen at what she was implying but thankfully, he kept silent. I stared straight into her dark brown eyes and said, "No, your honor, Leslie Owens was in full control during the creation of her will. I hadn't managed to convince her to leave the money with a beneficiary or find the plaintiff. Her stance on the matter was that Mr. Rodriguez had been a very sweet boy at seventeen and the adults around him had taught him well. She had faith that he grew to be a responsible man but in the will, added the clause that if he wasn't, everything would be withheld."