I Live Alone

My eyes flashed open. Sitting up, I looked around the lightly wooded area. It took me a minute to remember that I was at the lake shore.

Oh, sorry. I guess I jumped the gun a little bit.

My name is Mary. For the last three out of the twelve years I've been alive, I attended a summer camp where I currently live. If I wasn't in mortal danger from the outside world, I would have left a long time ago, because here's the gist of it: I don't have any friends here. Oh I know just about everyone in camp and they me, but I was never really... welcome. The only talents I have, I had to earn through hard labor while for most campers here, it just comes naturally.

Anyway, back to the canoe.

I just woke up from a very strange dream about a boy around my age, being attacked by a Fury. I knew better than to dismiss it as just a dream and that it held no significance. From what I knew, those violent creatures, as well as the other kinds I ran into, are real. Hard to believe, I know, but it's the honest truth.

I looked back on the dream and tried to mull things over (yes, I can remember it). What kind of kid could get a monster's attention like that? Normally, they kill for pleasure, but the Fury- or Kindly One as my fellow campers call it- was accusing this boy of a serious crime. He didn't have a clue what she was talking about. I had a guess of what this crime was, but there could be no way that he did it. Percy Jackson, Grover and Chiron called him. Even though I never heard the name before, it somehow felt familiar.

This is crazy, I told myself, He's just a typical half-blood kid.

A conch horn went off, calling everyone to lunch. I rolled my eyes. Technically no one would know if I didn't show up, but lately the camp counselors had been getting in the habit of tracking down every single person that didn't show up for meals or go to bed on time.

Might as well head over there before I get scolded again, I thought to myself as I stood up and brushed any dirt or anything like that off me.

Once I'm satisfied with my own inspection, I ran towards the pavilion where we usually eat. Speaking of which, I trained with the local nymphs for so long that now I can keep track of them (at least in bare feet), and believe me, that is no easy task. Even marathon runners would be left in the dust.

As usual, I was the first to arrive at the pavilion. The only person there before me was an eight year old who calls herself Hess. I sometimes talk to her, but she doesn't really say much. All she does is tend to the bonfire; never participates in any of the activities or meals. Funny thing is the camp counselors don't bother her about it. Come to think of it, everyone else doesn't seem to know that she exists.

Anyway, sitting down at my assigned table, I contemplated the vision. Why was Chiron so taken with this kid to teach his Latin class? Why was I allowed to see that vision?

My thoughts were interrupted when the entire camp came flooding into the pavilion for lunch. My cabin mates came and sat by me, only because it was camp rules to sit at a certain table, otherwise no one would be anywhere near me. As plates were passed around, I tried to focus on the upcoming meal rather than the dream.

"Hey," someone said, patting me on the back. "Daydreaming again?"

I looked up. It was Luke. My cabin counselor. If there was anyone who was close to being my friend, it was him. He was nice but, like most campers, was a little tense when I was around.

I smiled. "And if I am, how does that make it any of your business?"

He shrugged. "Just thought I'd ask."

I sighed as he walked away. Why was I so cold? Most of the time I was like that without even realizing it. I guess I was like that ever since... No. That's another story.