Chapter 9

"So are you going to Quidditch practice later or what?"

Draco was gazing out of the window to the sight of the Quidditch court visible in the distance. The ground was covered with freshly fallen snow as October draws into a close. In front of the large greenhouse that serves as their classroom, the new Herbology Professor continued to chatter the day's lecture with Gryffindor and Slytherin. Unaware that half of the class had been nodding off. For forty-five minutes, he was imagining his favorite Quidditch World Cup team playing on the grounds, until Blaise's whisper cut him off from his daydream. He turned his attention to the olive-skinned boy sitting beside him and grunted.

"You missed the practice last week mate and the other one you were in a hurry to meet up your girlfriend." Blaise quipped.

"Say she's my girlfriend one more time and I'll shove this pot of dirt down your throat." Draco replied in a low dangerous voice.

His glare could only throw Blaise into a restrained fit, completely ignoring his empty threat, he bit at his balled fist to suppress a laugh. "Hey, hey, no need to get violent. You can't miss any more practice though. You're the bloody seeker, Draco."

"I was in detention both times I was absent, what was I to do?" Draco retorted, steadying his gaze in front of the room pretending to listen as their Instructor move closer to their row.

"Maybe quit getting yourself in detention with Granger and take her out someplace else like a normal person." Ignoring Draco's flaring nostrils, Blaise continued. "I know she likes doing homework and stuff, mate. But you got to be more creative."

"Remember that time I got creative and your notebook one day in potions class shouted the doodles at the back page saying how much you like Pansy?"

Blaise's face flamed at the recollection, spluttering his reply that it came out as a series of incoherent sounds.

Feeling pleased with himself, Draco smirked at Blaise's expression. "Pair me with her again and I'll turn your love letters to Pansy into a Howler and set it off in breakfast."

"Fine but if you must know, not-your-girlfriend is staring at you right now."

Draco's eyebrows formed into a deep furrow as he pretended like he did not care. He did his best not to look but gave up after a while and slowly shifted his head to his right where the Gryffindor's are. The sunlight blinding him for a moment, he lifted a hand to shade his pale grey eyes. True enough, Hermione was sitting in the front row as usual along with Potter and Weasley but her typical eager eyes were not drawn to the booming voice that belongs to the Professor, instead, it was directed at him. She held his gaze for a moment until it can no longer bear the intensity of his defiant stare and it retreated back to an empty space in front of her. He pursed his lips and narrowed his eyes at her sudden oddness.

She was sitting stiffly with her eyes forward, faking her interest. By the constant twitch in her brows and tug at the corner of her lips, Draco could guess that Hermione had studied the lesson in advance. He imagined how her brain could be itching at that very moment to steal the floor, to report the topic for the entire class instead of bearing with the Herbology Professor's sluggish pace. And it surprised him to see that she had some self-restraint in her, considering she wasn't called an insufferable know-it-all for anything. Or maybe this is an indication that a lot had changed indeed, even him. The nightmares had done their job breaking his character, there was no more left of his arrogance and pride, replaced by guilt and self-loathe. Every night he asks himself what could his father possibly see in joining the dark side when all it did to him is ruined his life.

And then there's Hermione Granger, who belongs to the minority whose spirit didn't die down but instead lit up like wildfire. He saw her fought the war, erasing the image of the annoying bookworm behind people's minds and transforming to an exemplary hero everyone admires. Even his mother, who was so difficult to please, have undoubtedly acknowledged the witch's ability and he too was truthfully surprised to witness such bravery coming from her as he never pinned her down as the type to fight a battle. Before the war broke off he did actually think he will fight alongside her, with her self-made spells and undeniable skill, hoping some of her courage will rub off on him. But he was called to a more important task, one that will severe the delicate forming bond he worked hard to build with the good side. Draco had to veer off the right path once more that by the time the war is over, he felt more tainted than usual.